Airfix 1:24 Bf109 E-4

Greg W

Right, probably should have left well enough alone, cause the 3D printed exhausts were looking prerty darned good... but the thickness of the exhaust shrouds on the model distracted me enough that I decided to try and make thinner versions.

bf-109+exhaust+4+copy_kindlephoto-109081635001

20221004_020158

The front width is set by the back of the intake, so I measured the rear width and made a note of it before removal.

20230222_175718

I weakened and broke this guy, while sanding down the last of the remaining overly stout shroud.

20230223_143530

Ok, fortunately the break reassembled like a puzzle piece and didnt look too bad. I glued it back together, reinforced it and set it aside to dry. It was time to pursue more mundane tasks, so I could feel like I was accomplishing something akin to forward progress.   

20230223_160533

20230223_160626

20230223_160800

Wings and tail feathers are now cleaned up, assembled and glued together.

20230224_183624

Today, the glue has set up enough to further refine the fit of the nose cowling. I was more in the mood to address that, than make the thin exhaust shrouds.

The gaps around the rear cowl closed up nicely after shimming the bottom with .020 strip and lightly sanding the top of the panel my middle finger is pressing into place.

20230224_191117

At this point, the big cowl was still sitting too high. Note how the small panel I broke off is being pressed inward.

20230209_155715

Sand a little like this...

20230224_184000

Then a little like this...

20230224_185303

Back and forth until...

20230224_195151

Much better. I think I will not do any more until the fuselage is glued together.  

Now I have to figure out how to finish what I started with the exhausts.

All the best friends,

Greg

Edited by Greg W

I am appealing to the knowledgeable members of LSP on all accounts regarding this subject matter, because I know very little when it comes to German fighters! 

My first inquiry is regarding a profile in the 1972 Airfix book.   

20230224_235617

Do any of you have additional info and are there published pictures of this aircraft? Is this profile thought to be based on good information or is it a flight of fancy?

20230224_234824

TIA

Yeah, the Cross / Scarborough series is a trustworthy source, even though old.

The sections in the back about the 1/24 Airfix kits looks kinda crude but helpful

in it's day.

Mr. Brown is right about the gap at the top of the E series cowling. It looks like

a clearance for the guns issue.

610NZZJ.jpg

yq9XhQd.jpg

8w6I3FJ.jpg

Your progress is looking very good Greg .

9 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

Nice save on the exhaust shrouds, Greg!

Thin the trailing edge on the cowling and you should be OK.

Cheers,

Damian

Agreed, thin the cowling and by the time a micron is removed by sanding the fuse, it will look perfect!

Looks much much better with your mods

cheers Anthony 

On 2/25/2023 at 1:27 AM, RBrown said:

The cowling on the Bf 109 E does sit high as photos clearly show.  Perhaps this is somewhat overemphasized on the Airfix kit, but it is a feature of the real aircraft.

52188736537_9cbe4daf5b_h.jpg

Here are a couple of photos of the machine depicted in the profile...

52709807379_a95007afdf_c.jpg

52709960565_8d1aa57f6c_b.jpg

On 2/25/2023 at 4:21 AM, MikeMaben said:

Yeah, the Cross / Scarborough series is a trustworthy source, even though old.

The sections in the back about the 1/24 Airfix kits looks kinda crude but helpful

in it's day.

Mr. Brown is right about the gap at the top of the E series cowling. It looks like

a clearance for the guns issue.

610NZZJ.jpg

yq9XhQd.jpg

8w6I3FJ.jpg

Your progress is looking very good Greg .

Mr. Brown and Mr. Maben, thank you for providing such terrific photos and calling my attention to the correct hight of the cowl. Should be easy enough to add some thin strip in order to tweek it (up) a smidge.

Those images are fantastic. I think I will do this aircraft on 1:32 scale. Since it looks like it did not utilize the additional armor on the windscreen, I will do it at another time. I definitely want to use the complete Airscale canopy set on this project, so the hunt for a paint scheme continues. 

23 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

Nice save on the exhaust shrouds, Greg!

Thin the trailing edge on the cowling and you should be OK.

Cheers,

Damian

14 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Agreed, thin the cowling and by the time a micron is removed by sanding the fuse, it will look perfect!

Looks much much better with your mods

cheers 

Damian and Anthony, I agree. The back needs thinning as well as the openings for the guns and vents. Some careful work will be required to make the openings for the guns thin and symmetrical.

Gentlemen, thank you for the encouraging words and being at the ready with excellent information!

I definitely removed too much material from the bottom of the cowl and it was sitting a little too low. Easy enough to remedy by gluing it to plastic sheet. 

The top trailing edge of the cowl needs significant thinning as mentioned above, as do all of the openings in the kit. Todays effort was focused on modifying the forward portion of both exhaust shrouds. They needed to be hollowed out and slightly reshaped at the front. This takes some time because of the amount of plastic that needs to be removed from hard to reach places. One has to work more and more carefully as the plastic becomes thin.

Note how thin the purge/cooling vent in front of the windscreen is.

20230301_195123

20230301_183552

20230301_193433

20230301_193134

Edited by Greg W

There are numerous latches that are poorly represented on the model which frankly, I don't have the skill to replicate. This is such a prominent feature, I began to wonder if Eduard or somebody else did these in PE.

20230223_160626

20230301_195026

bf-109+exhaust+4+copy_kindlephoto-109081635001

Fortunately, Yahu made this set which took some time to find (appears to be OOP). Looking around online, I found a hobbyshop located in Poland that has some in stock with cheap shipping to boot! 

yahu-models-yms2401-luftwaffe-latches-x-10

Edited by Greg W

hi Greg,

spectacular work and great attention to correcting the age flaws of this kit!

Yahu latches are an amazing low effort improvement, implementing these with a bit of wire will look great. I put here two pocs of mine in 1/32, I hope they may interest you.

have fun!

cheers, Paolo

IMG_0352.HEIC

IMG_0361.HEIC

16 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Nice work Greg, wow, lucky find on those Dzus fasteners.

Thank you Mike. Yeah, what a break! They are out there but you have to turn over some rocks to find them. 

16 hours ago, mc65 said:

hi Greg,

spectacular work and great attention to correcting the age flaws of this kit!

Yahu latches are an amazing low effort improvement, implementing these with a bit of wire will look great. I put here two pocs of mine in 1/32, I hope they may interest you.

have fun!

cheers, Paolo

IMG_0352.HEIC

IMG_0361.HEIC

I really like how you have used wire with the PE. That is a perfect way to display them in the unlatched position. They look great on 1:32. Yahu made them in 1:48 too, those must be tiny. Thanks for sharing your adaptation, I think it is a brilliant idea!