PCM Hurricane (late) 56 Squadron….finished!

mozart

I wrote to Sven suggesting some generic stencils, an extract from his reply:

"........yes your idea could be an additional range, but the same question remains: when will I be doing all this?

For 1/48, which I will be launching in March, I will be starting the other way round, with separate 'generic' sets: Roundels in different Inches, Code letters, Serials and the small data stencil.. And look what that gives... 

And maybe, in the future I might be doing the same for 1/32 or 1/24, but don't ask me when."

On 1/17/2024 at 9:16 PM, mozart said:

I wrote to Sven suggesting some generic stencils, an extract from his reply:

"........yes your idea could be an additional range, but the same question remains: when will I be doing all this?

For 1/48, which I will be launching in March, I will be starting the other way round, with separate 'generic' sets: Roundels in different Inches, Code letters, Serials and the small data stencil.. And look what that gives... 

And maybe, in the future I might be doing the same for 1/32 or 1/24, but don't ask me when."

With the plethora of Roundels, Crosses and all other national insignias available I would have thought the small stuff to compliment the big stuff a no brainer to start off with.  Even victory/kill markings would be awesome.  He is though only a 1 Man Army:D   But back to topic, they do make a huge difference as can be seen on your hurricane. Love the one on the door panel, “check your O2”, very cool:popcorn:

Progress pics of the underside and stencils, some too small to be seen (but there anyway! :coolio:).  The plan is to do a bit of dirt and oil streaking this afternoon, and I need to work a bit  more on the battery connection point for the trolley acc, then she should be up on her legs before too long:

O7WDLQ.jpg

8QdGRj.jpg

y2MmzU.jpg

1Z8MKk.jpg

iGDXLa.jpg

2Q7hmf.jpg

This one just says "TREST" rather than the full "Trestle here" because I figured the squadron "painter" wouldn't have been too bothered about masking it or painting around it when he put the squadron codes on!

Lots of bits to touch up....the curse and benefits of close up photographs! 

Edited by mozart

Thanks Dennis. I want her to look “used” but not clapped out. P3153 was delivered to 56 Squadron on 25 June but her first operational flight wasn’t until 12 July:

JWrk5J.jpg

But with the underwing roundels, she’s now “placed” as flying after 1 August, but before her last flight on 21 August. So her operational life was less than 6 weeks, not long enough to become too “war weary”.

I like the comparison photos, too.   I started collecting underside photos a year ago, and they definitely help add to the model.  Coming out sweetly.

13 hours ago, mozart said:

Work in progress but quite happy so far:

G09oSI.jpg

Love that reference photo, couldn’t be much better, excellent work going on here.:popcorn:

Hi Max, you're making great progress on your Hurricane!
I think the reason you're using OneManArmy stencils is that you've been experimenting with the Silhouette and it doesn't allow you to make things that small?

2 hours ago, Furie said:

Hi Max, you're making great progress on your Hurricane!
I think the reason you're using OneManArmy stencils is that you've been experimenting with the Silhouette and it doesn't allow you to make things that small?

Indeed Denis. The “EUTHANASIA” stencil is as small as I can cut with the Silhouette using Oramask, those letters are about 1.5mm high, but the laser-cut masks are in the order of 0.5mm or smaller, just incredible. Sven uses a Tamiya-style tape rather than vinyl, which is thin but tough; I aim to experiment with some spare areas on his sheet to see if I can improve on 1.5mm. 

Short answer; no I couldn't improve the stencil, so it's the technique not the material that's critical.

Edited by mozart