1/32 Messerschmitt Bf 110 D and E from Hobby 2000 (DML-rebox)

barkhorn

22 hours ago, mywifehatesmodels said:

When I was researching for my D, early nightfighter build, everything started with a single photo of a plane that appeared to be a mostly standard scheme, but with black undersurfaces and the black moved up the sides and included the vertical tailplanes.  I do remember seeing others that were similar, but almost all of them were painted all black, rather quickly. This particular plane, referenced in the OP, doesn't stand out to me, but it's hard to say without digging through books and photos again. In short, they did exist, but it appears that references are few and the modified "standard" scheme seems as though it was very short-lived. 

The WIP for my build:

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/59192-bf-110d-of-iinjg3-132-dragon-finished/

The RFI:

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=59573

Hope that helps,

John

Thanks for the reminder John, I know this great build and is in my bucketlist.

I guess I will built this in near future. It is possible that I will bore you with my questions during painting

Edited by Tolga ULGUR

The photograph in John Vasco’s book of a Bf110D of II./Nachtjagdgeschwader 1 says “a rare scheme of being black painted only on its undersurfaces, the top surfaces being in standard camouflage.”  So black undersides rare but not unknown, though I still have suspicions about that profile without further evidence.

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2023 at 9:40 AM, mozart said:

Agreed 100% with Mike, nonsense profile unless there’s better photographic evidence than that picture. I have several Bf110 books, I’ll check later especially in John Vasco’s seminal book about the C, D and E. 

I would recommend to be more polite as it may turn out that someone knows and has seen much more than you, and cause your firm statements looking foolish.
If you actually read John's books, you would probably know that Erpr.Gr. 210 flew dusk missions against targets in south-east England since the beginning of 1941, and some aircraft did receive black camo on the undersides as evidenced by photos. Here's the aircraft in question, source: previews from old Ebay auctions.
24_572822629uvip5.jpg
24_572822729rqi7s.jpg

Edited by barkhorn

But you chose to ignore my caveat “unless there’s better photographic evidence”; which you may have provided.  I have looked at thousands of black and white wartime photographs in my years of research which can be open to different interpretation depending on what one wishes to see. Your second picture is however quite convincing. :D

15 hours ago, barkhorn said:

I would recommend to be more polite as it may turn out that someone knows and has seen much more than you, and cause your firm statements looking foolish.

Max said nothing impolite, calling him foolish is impolite.

If you actually read John's books, you would probably know that Erpr.Gr. 210 flew dusk missions against targets in south-east England since the beginning of 1941, and some aircraft did receive black camo on the undersides as evidenced by photos. Here's the aircraft in question, source: previews from old Ebay auctions.

I wonder why, if John knew of this scheme 'as evidenced by photos', they weren't in his book. ??

24_572822629uvip5.jpg
24_572822729rqi7s.jpg

Ahh, these pictures are surprising for me, never saw them before. It has been a strong reference for the kit's markings option. And are we agreed about the upper surfaces? Are they RLM71/02

3 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

In 1941 they were 74/75/76 which is what the photos look like.

No earlier than mid-1941 production Bf 110s would be painted in the new (ie. 74/75/76) colors whilst here we look at an aircraft used in the early 1941 and manufactured during the late summer or autumn of 1940, after the RLM 71/02/65 scheme was introduced for Bf 110s at the factory level around May-June 1940.

Late '40 early '41 saw 110s in both greys and greens. One of the first examples of 74/75/76  seen on a 110C-5

shot down on July 21 1940 (LW Colours Zerstorer Vol.1 John Vasco). There were many examples of differing

schemes in the early war. Because they weren't factory applied doesn't rule out the likelihood of the a/c in

question isn't greys as apposed to greens. If there was ever a period of non-compliance with factory schemes,

it's the one in question.