1/32 Sea Fury from DBMK just announced at Telford

Ali62

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

OMG...what did they do to this beautiful plane!?! :blink:

Man! No kidding, take a cool a$$ airplane and modify the crap out of it just to fly around a bunch of pylons for a not very large purse[provided you place or win]. Then on top of it all run the very real risk of an accident losing both pilot AND aircraft. I know for fact that if I had a Sea Fury there's no way in hell I'd do anything like that to it. Probably can tell I'm not a huge Air racing fan. 

I have no problem with racing even if that is not my cup of tea. However modifying so heavily such a rare and precious history artefact for such a risky purpose is total nonsense to my eyes...:blink: Why not simply building fully new planes? I don't think anyone is modifying a vintage Bugatti to change it into a modern race car...Weird world!

20 minutes ago, MikeMaben said:

It might have been incomplete to begin with and they salvaged the remains into a racer.  ????  :shrug:

Some racers are just plain cool and a fun exception to the usual ...

NVyrtzA.jpg

;)

That's a stunning Bearcat racer

Tony

On 11/21/2023 at 12:57 AM, mozart said:

My goodness me Brian, that’s hideous! Talk about making a sow’s ear out of a silk purse! 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder my friend!    I think its gorgeous............especially when compared to the two place Sea Fury it started out as, which I do find extraordinarily hideous.  I love the single seat and think its very pretty, but that two holer in its original form is so grotesque. 

Don't worry all, Critical Mass was in fact turned back into its ugly original two canopy self. 

On 11/21/2023 at 2:50 AM, thierry laurent said:

Why not simply building fully new planes? I don't think anyone is modifying a vintage Bugatti to change it into a modern race car...Weird world!

They did, some with disastrous results (think Pond Racer), but generally it started in the 40s when Warbirds were cheap and not that rare. Now with the cost and rarity of the birds 99% of them are either destroyed in racing or mainly most have been turned back into warbirds and sold. 

Sad really, and all academic as time, rules, crashes and people who have no idea what they are doing making regs to stop Unlimited racing have generally taken their toll, and Reno racing is no more. 

3 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Don't worry all, Critical Mass was in fact turned back into its ugly original two canopy self. 

They did, some with disastrous results (think Pond Racer), but generally it started in the 40s when Warbirds were cheap and not that rare. Now with the cost and rarity of the birds 99% of them are either destroyed in racing or mainly most have been turned back into warbirds and sold. 

Sad really, and all academic as time, rules, crashes and people who have no idea what they are doing making regs to stop Unlimited racing have generally taken their toll, and Reno racing is no more. 

Indeed, this changed a lot. Now, if you are lucky you can get a P-51D for 3 millions $... This is why I could understand that conversion effort during the fifties but not now. I agree the two seater Fury has questionable aesthetics but this stays a rare plane.

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

Indeed, this changed a lot. Now, if you are lucky you can get a P-51D for 3 millions $... This is why I could understand that conversion effort during the fifties but not now. I agree the two seater Fury has questionable aesthetics but this stays a rare plane.

I must be about the only one in the world that likes to 2 seater Sea fury, I sure wouldn't turn one down either real or in kit form. For some reason I like the trainer 2 seat versions of a lot of aircraft, but that's just me.

On 11/22/2023 at 10:59 AM, thierry laurent said:

Very true kind sir. Actually it stared in the Forties after the war , with the Bendix and Thompson trophy races in Cleveland Ohio. Back then ww2 fighters went for cheap in surplus[ there were a lot of them in salvage yards]. My late father went to the races every year and he said it was a real circus! They used to fly at tree top level over residential areas at over 400mph!!! INSANE!