WNW SE5a

Greif8

After spending the spring, summer and early fall working on non-LSP builds I have returned to the holy land. -_- 

I bought this kit from a fellow LSPer, who kindly sold it to me for a very fair price after I mentioned that I was having a lot of trouble finding the kit.  I have a bit of AM - HGW seatbelts, Proper Plane propeller, and two Gaspatch MGs that I plan to use on this build.  I also will be doing some very minor scratchbuilding, mostly in the cockpit area.  I tried to find a colorful paint and decal scheme to replicate, but as I suspected - colorful and SE5a do not go together - at least I could not find anything.  I will very likely do one of the aircraft whose decals are in the kit and call it good.  

I will replace the molded on bracing wire on the fuselage sides and floor with 0.1mm wire so I did some shaving and sanding.

IMG_4607

After which I added some additional framing using 30x30 Evergreen strip that was test fitted extensively to ensure it did not interfere with the fit of other parts.  

I have also drilled .2mm holes in the corners that will recieve the wire when the time comes.

IMG_4615 IMG_4616

I carved a slot in the flare pistol holder to make it look a bit less like a pistol butt sticking out of a block of plastic.  I have also shaved off some of the chair sides

to prevent them from crushing the bracing wires in that area when I install the seat assembly.  I will be adding the control lines and have drilled out the appropriate

holes in the seat assembly; unfortunately I could not get a well focused shot at the bench to show that. 

IMG_4609

I drilled out the lightening holes on the bottom part of the control stick, as well as the two really small holes that can just be made out at the very bottom of

the part.

IMG_4611

More to follow tomorrow.

Ernest

Edited by Greif8

13 hours ago, europapete said:

Great start there Ernest. Any Q's just ask. Regards, Pete in RI

Thank you Pete!  I will make sure to ask if I have any questions during the build.

Ernest

11 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

2087-2.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Thank you for the information Kagemusha!  Unfortunately Pheon appears to be more or less defunct and the reviews of the other decals are very mixed.  I would very much liked to have been able to do one of the Pheon schemes, but that does not look like it will be possible.

Ernest

2 hours ago, europapete said:

Ebay. Also head over to ww1aircraftmodels.com and ask if anyone has a spare sheet. 

Good recommendations Pete, sometimes I can be a bit obtuse.

Ernest

9 hours ago, Uncarina said:

You’re off to a great start Ernest! The SE5A was my first WNW build, and I learned a lot along the way. Looking forward to seeing her take shape!

Cheers,  Tom

Thank you Tom!  Hopefully I can do the kit justice.

Ernest

Looks great so far, Ernest!

Be aware the blue-nosed 60sqn version is a "normal"  SE5, and some of the others (including the Polish version) may be Viper or Hispano direct-drive without the reduction gears and rounded engine panels...

My vote would go to the 84sqn version, though that needs a little letter added to the radiator that's not in the kit's decals :)

Jeroen

Scratch-building on a WnW kit! They'll surely hang you for that...

Looking great so far! I had one once upon a time, but sold off most of my WnW kits right before they went out of business. Regretting that heavily, especially for not hanging onto the SE.5a!

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

18 hours ago, jeroen_R90S said:

Looks great so far, Ernest!

Be aware the blue-nosed 60sqn version is a "normal"  SE5, and some of the others (including the Polish version) may be Viper or Hispano direct-drive without the reduction gears and rounded engine panels...

My vote would go to the 84sqn version, though that needs a little letter added to the radiator that's not in the kit's decals :)

Jeroen

Hi Jeroen, thank you for the tips!  84 Squadron looks to be very nice.  I also think the 61 HD Squadron is pretty eye catching as well.

Ernest

16 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

Scratch-building on a WnW kit! They'll surely hang you for that...

Looking great so far! I had one once upon a time, but sold off most of my WnW kits right before they went out of business. Regretting that heavily, especially for not hanging onto the SE.5a!

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

Thank you Dennis!  I did not get into the WNW game until pretty late in the company's life and as a result did not manage to purchase a huge amount of kits.  I am sorry you sold most of yours right before the firm closed - painful.

Ernest