RoG 1/72 Type VIIc U-255

Greif8

Here is the second of the uboat builds I did some years ago - Tom and Kev, I hope you like them!  U-255 operated during the early-mid war years - the boat has an early war conning tower with only a single barrelled 2,0 cm automatic cannon and she still retains her 8,8 cm deck gun.  There are a few other minor differencies from U-228 as well.  U-255 had a long career consisting of 15 war patrols in which she sank 11 ships.  U-255 served with the 11th and 13th Flottillen based in Norway for her first eight war patrols before transferring to the 7th Flottille for the remainder of the war.  She was fitted with a schnorkel later in her career and managed to survive the war being sunk by the British during what was known as Operation Deadlight NW of Ireland after the war.

The build shows U-255 returning to Narvik on 15 July 1942 following her first war patrol.  She is flying four "sinking pennants" representing the ships she sank during the patrol,  The ships all came from the ill-fated PQ-17 convoy after it had dispersed.  Like the U-228, I opened up all the hull free flooding vents and I also added the upper part of the pressure hull.  Other than a Schatton periscope I am pretty sure I did not use any other AM for this build - other then the crew figures which came from Hecker und Goros I believe.  Also, as with U-228, I added the ribbing which can be seen in a couple of the photos.

Ernest

IMG_4590

IMG_4588

IMG_4595

IMG_4582

IMG_4583

IMG_4581

IMG_4580

IMG_4579

IMG_4578

IMG_4603

IMG_4584

IMG_4600

Edited by Greif8

Very Nice! I live in Maine where many ships were stationed during ww2 in harbors near my house. This was hunting ground for the U-boats and there were nets set up in places to keep them from hiding in coves and such. I always think about that in one particular cove where bike by. It would be have been perfect. 

20 hours ago, Jim Barry said:

Very Nice! I live in Maine where many ships were stationed during ww2 in harbors near my house. This was hunting ground for the U-boats and there were nets set up in places to keep them from hiding in coves and such. I always think about that in one particular cove where bike by. It would be have been perfect. 

Thank you Jim!  I'll bet it is really very beautiful where you live!

Ernest

20 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Very impressive, really like the figures, might have to treat myself to a U-BOAT someday, nice base too.

Thank you Kagamusha!  The figures were pretty nice, unfortunately I built this model fairly early after I started building and they really show my skills at the time.  I like to think I could do a better job today.

Ernest

18 hours ago, Uncarina said:

I love it Ernest! Your skill with figures really brings it to life. Very niely done!

Cheers,  Tom

Thank you Tom!  To be honest, if the figures were not glued down I would very likely strip them all down and repaint them; I can do much better now.

Ernest

17 hours ago, aircommando130 said:

Beautiful submarine! The figures in coats all bundled up just show the cold 

water they were working in the North Atlantic. 

Cheers...Ron

Thank you Ron!

Ernest