Silver Wings Gauntlet II

mozart

5 minutes ago, mozart said:

I’ll tell you a secret Mike, but keep it between ourselves…..shhhhh! Attempting to “push on” in a spare ill-considered moment a few days ago, the Gauntlet fell off its jig! Bloody disaster…..rudder broke off, top wing came off, rigging all over the place like spaghetti, gun sight disappeared (finally found it in the cockpit!). I nearly cried, nearly threw it across the room but managed to leave it and go outside for two vigorous hours’ work in the garden….working off my anger at my stupidity! :angry2:

So no, I won’t be rushing it! I’ve managed to sort it all out and put it all back in place, wiser and wrinklier! :coolio:

My lips are sealed Max.  Are the pictures of a pranged Gauntlet a couple of pages ago somehow related?  Anyway, all I will say is what a great recovery, well done.  Onwards and upwards! :piliot:

Hi Max, This is an excellent build, I have followed previous builds and really like your technique/ results.

I too am keen on interwar biplanes, and have many to build now I have more time. Can I ask what your rigging materials are? 

And Also what are your jig arrangements? there seems to be an adjustable stand clamped on to a standard aircraft jig?

Once again, really admire your work.

Regards 

Duncan

55 minutes ago, Pegasus468 said:

Hi Max, This is an excellent build, I have followed previous builds and really like your technique/ results.

I too am keen on interwar biplanes, and have many to build now I have more time. Can I ask what your rigging materials are? 

And Also what are your jig arrangements? there seems to be an adjustable stand clamped on to a standard aircraft jig?

Once again, really admire your work.

Regards 

Duncan

Hello Duncan....welcome to LSP!!......specially an interwar biplane fan!  I have most of the Silver Wings ones yet to build and another of the AlleyCat Hawker Furies but sometimes I wish I wasn't quite so addicted because biplanes and rigging can be frustrating to say the least!  At the moment I'm using Prym elastic for rigging, it's preferable in my opinion to EZ line but as I said recently it's not quite as uniform in shape as I'd hoped and is causing some problems with the turnbuckle system that I'm trying to use on the Gauntlet, but I think I'm also making a rod for my own back!

Yes you're right, the aircraft sits on a standard Vertigo jig (excellent product, the best I've used by a mile) and for some jobs I then clamp that to the weighted flexible stand that I bought some years ago from a chap advertising here in the Vendors area, though sadly I can't remember his name...a search might reveal something?

mMmPTD.jpg

xTcLaZ.jpg

B5xmyu.jpg

DdzJAD.jpg

This arrangement is excellent as long as you don't push the parameters of balance too far (ask me how I know).  Hope this helps Duncan, are we going to see some of your work?

All the best 

Max

Hi Max,

Thanks for the answer, that's brilliant! Sometimes you need 10 hands for rigging and that is an elegant solution even with limitations.

I have a vertigo jig (with a DH9a parked in it) and have almost given up the rigging as I thought it impossible to hold the jig steady at an angle (Lord knows I've tried) 

I like the idea of elastic thread but possessing hammer hands I have not had much luck, I use the method I got from the WW1 aircraft site, fishing line and tube( it's not really correct for later interwar builds but works for me) 

I will try and post a  build at some stage.

Thanks for your answers.

Cheers

Duncan

2 hours ago, monthebiff said:

I like it a lot Max and great recovery from your earlier mishap! Definitely try the fishing line route as it works really well and much easier to thread.

Regards. Andy 

Cheers Andy, I’ll get a bit of practice in with fishing line but I can see how it could be so much easier than elastic.

54 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Excellent, Max!

Kev

41 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Lovely stuff Max! 

Thank you both, the Gauntlet despite my clumsiness has been a most satisfying build and I’m pleased it’s turning out well. Should look quite effective alongside the Gladiator!