Infinity Models DH-100 Vampire F Mk3

Iain

39 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

I also found another difference in comparison with the kit configuration: the rear belly lights. 

I know there’s uncovered and covered (with small openings) configuration. The F3 in Ottawa has covered lights for example. I’ve seen both in ordinary Vampires. What have you found with the Sea Vampire?

Alain

2 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

I know there’s uncovered and covered (with small openings) configuration. The F3 in Ottawa has covered lights for example. I’ve seen both in ordinary Vampires. What have you found with the Sea Vampire?

Alain

It had the configuration with three lights (?) closer to the front of the plane.

Done some further investigation on the shapes and general dimensions of the Infinity Vampire. Used various books, photos etc. A few drawings were scaled up to 1/32 and most have some inaccuracies in areas. So measuring and comparing. 

After a day..... my impression is that the Infinity Vampire wing planform and tail shapes are spot on.

But agree with Iain.....  that the Vampire kit nose looks a tiny bit too blunt in upper planform view. Can if desired be improved by removing a slice of 1 mm on both nose halves, bend a bit  and blend in shape. ADDED:  than glue the upper nose halves, after the slices were removed, slightly more inboard on the lower half edge and and than sanded particularly the lower nose part section. 

(the lower nose part with gun nozzles I will retain as per kit).

I purchased 2 Vampire kits but will use 1 Infinity Vampire kit for cross kitting: 

[1]  using forward (separated) Vampire fuselage to combine with the Matchbox Sea Venom FAW twin to get a single seat Venom FB.4; also needs tail fins modification. All  inspired by a nice article of J. Howard in the recent Scale Aircraft Modelling magazine/ August 2022. ( 60% Matchbox + 20% Infinity + 20% scratch)

[2] using the other parts of the Infinity Vampire to combine with the (separated) forward fuselage of the Matchbox kit to get a twin seat Vampire T.11 trainer ! Will also need a major tail fins change and off course new twin cockpit interior. ( 20% Matchbox + 50% Infinity + 30% scratch)

Work in progress.

Edited by mydesign

I did exactly the same with similar goals: a Sea Vampire, a two-seater T22 Vampire and a single seat FB4 Venom. With regard to the Vampire nose, you cannot really remove material from the top fuselage without doing a similar exercise with the bottom of you want to improve the plan view. And, to me, this is where the problem is actually starting. Indeed, with the LG well, the gun holes and chutes, this implies rebuilding fully the lower fuselage. Personally, I'm assessing two easier routes. First, as the fuselage is thick, sanding the nose sides could already help a lot. Second, I'm also wondering if adding a little bit of material at the nose tip would not help. This has yet to be finally assessed but this would be far easier. BTW it looks the rear fuselage of the Matchbox kit is 7mm larger than the Infinity one. I do not know how large is that difference where the cut should be made to combine both kits at mid-fuselage level. 

Hi Thierry

regarding the Vampire nose... you are right. I glued the upper nose halves, after the slices were removed, slightly more inboard on the lower half edge and and than sanded particularly the lower nose part section. 

( I forgot to write this in my suggestion above so ADDED. This will give a better nose upper planform).

The nose side profile looks OK for the Infinity Vampire. 

[ The Sea Venom rear fuselage is indeed a bit too long, this will be tackled by removing some materials; to be described later on in my Work in Progress ]

Edited by mydesign

15 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

It had the configuration with three lights (?) closer to the front of the plane.

Good observation! Looked through my books but could only find a picture from slightly below. Not very helpful, except to see they are forward one panel.

Alain

5 minutes ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Good observation! Looked through my books but could only find a picture from slightly below. Not very helpful, except to see they are forward one panel.

Alain

There are three pictures showing the belly in the Wingleader booklet. Only one is clearly showing the area but this is sufficient as other initial Vampires got the same configuration.

On 8/25/2022 at 4:43 PM, Jan_G said:

Hello!

Just want to point out that the shape of the air brake is a bit off. The outboard side is a straight line as is shown in this drawing:

xlgvl8c.png

All the dimensions are noted in Imperial and Metric. The smaller number in Metric is the size in 1/32 scale. The  1'8'' measure is on the inboard side of the dive brake.

Alain