Accurate Miniatures SB2U-3 Vindicator (1/48)

denders

#2 appears to have freshly painted national insignia. And they are much larger than the other aircraft seen in the movie frame captures. I decided that the insignia in the kit weren't large enough, so I cut masks and painted the national insignia. The kit decal instructions indicate markings in six locations, so I went with that. The "2" and the overpainted tail stripes are decals. There are a few more small decals to place. The canopy masks don't seem to fit as well as I think they should, so I'll order some Eduard masks from SB and see how they work out. 

pcguYf.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay, it's done! Although while preparing the photos I realized that I don't have any exhaust staining or engine oil, etc. I'll add it.

I also ended up using the overall canopy part because the individual pieces just weren't overlapping and sitting correctly to have the open cockpits. :(

The paints are MRP and I mixed some of the Light Grey with the Grey-Blue to make a more faded color. I did go back over some areas of the fuselage sides with Grey-Blue to darken the fuselage sides where they may not have had as much sun exposure. The markings are painted using masks cut on a Cameo 4 cutter. The number 2s are from decals and the painted over rudder stripes are the kit decals. Some of the interior colors are brushed Vallejo paints. The antenna post doesn't have a positive location despite what was shown on the instruction sheets. I attempted using the sponge technique on the walkways to add paint wear in those locations. First time for that.

ZBm5kS.jpg

AozYq7.jpg

TwaXTv.jpg

bi24Qq.jpg

MZB0Y4.jpg

3uoelf.jpg

Z20sAe.jpg

neXpe4.jpg

ABC2xe.jpg

opSEXy.jpg

nIprME.jpg

d85ovX.jpg

yYXw5n.jpg

Well, that's about how long I've had the kit too. I picked up quite a few of the AM kits when they were first issued. I had one of the Gulf Hawk kits, built it for my father back then. Since he's passed it's come back to my display shelf.

Lovely!

I also build this kit some 10 years ago and it’s still one of my most favored. I chose one with medical taping on the rear fuselage.

I love the outline of the Vindicator and wished there‘d be a kit in 1:32 scale.

Andreas

2 hours ago, Borsos said:

I love the outline of the Vindicator and wished there‘d be a kit in 1:32 scale.

That would be nice. It would be nice that the manufacturer would work out a method to represent the different outer wing panel dihedral too. Without having to trim and putty whichever dihedral was chosen. The SB2U-1 and -2 had 7 degrees dihedral but the -3 had 9 degrees dihedral. The -3 was built solely for the Marines and something like it would be easier for them to fly.:coolio:

• 2 weeks later...

It's not variable as in adjustable, the SB2U-3 was built with 9 degrees of dihedral. The earlier versions only had 7 degrees.

I have a 3D model I'm working on Vought SB2U Vindicator - Military-meshes.com therefore I dug into the details. I didn't even check the model kit to see how much dihedral was in the plastic.