King Tiger in the Ardennes - a diorama

ChuckD

Hi, all.  Back in December, I set a new year's resolution for myself to complete 8 models in 2022.  Well, here we are halfway through June and I'm up to a whopping grand total of 1.  In any case, here it is.  :)

This is a diorama that depicts a King Tiger and its crew in the run up to the Ardennes offensive.  I wanted to do something to show the articulation of the tank's suspension, and while it's subtle, it's there.  The Takom kit has a full interior which is built, painted, weathered, and locked away forever, never to be seen again.  The build features 3 LEDs in the tank itself and 3 more in the firepit.  See it in action here: https://i.imgur.com/F7iDcxG.mp4

I forget who made the crew, but they've all got some level of custom sculpting.  Though there's no way to photograph him, there's actually a 5th crewman in the turret reaching up for the ammo cans being handed down by the guy on the turret.

The pine trees are hand made with dowel rod, wire, and static grass.  The tarp is MagicSculpt and the small arms under maintenance are from the spares bin, as are the bucket and stool.  

This is a pretty tough subject to get good pictures of.  As a night theme, it's challenging to get a good shot with the tools I have available, so the photos are not my best work.  

I hope you enjoy.  The full photo gallery is here: https://imgbox.com/g/oPhHfdALvU

sFEtpfgM_o.jpg

KB9vDixA_o.jpg

uu3T9CUN_o.jpg

cmbgXq4W_o.jpg

I37h3j7H_o.jpg

q9G0i5g5_o.jpg

oSuvNsvd_o.jpg

6aMWlYK5_o.jpg

5 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Great!  Love it.  What did you use to get your tight camo line?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Silly putty.  Lots and lots of silly putty.  And I did small sections at a time.  I find that just piling the putty on leads to haphazard camo results.

Thanks for the compliments!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...