How accurate are the MER/TER's in Tamiya F-4 kits?

John1

Title pretty much says it all, any thoughts on how accurate the kit MER and TER's are?  Didn't see anything major about them in the fantastic F-4 tweak list but thought I read somewhere that these racks had some dimensional issues.   Any info is much appreciated. 

The tweak lists are old now and do not cover everything. The rear fuselage bulge issue or the shapes issue under the nose were neither detected at that time. Actually ALL 1/32 MERs have dimension issues! Tamiya ones are too fat, Trumpeter ones are a little bit too thin and have many other errors and Eduard ones are too short...:( Nonetheless, when assembled and loaded with bombs Tamiya ones do not look that bad.

Started working on the CAD again this past week. These are based off 10 years working on the real item, the technical manuals I have for them and a MER I physically have access to. Going to do my best to have these released in time for the NATS. If not, they'll be done before the summer is over. MER-TER-32nd-Scale-v7.png

6 hours ago, O.W said:

Hi John,

I bought the MER and TER from edaurd for my Tamiya F-4J. In my opinion they are more detailed than the Tamiya parts.

The Eduard ones are far more detailed but they are too short :( - it´s really annoying and I wish they would fix it as its a pain to fix yourself. 

Its not "just" cosmetic either - It prevents you from hanging even Mk82´s and Rockeyes etc on all stations 

6 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

The tweak lists are old now and do not cover everything. The rear fuselage bulge issue or the shapes issue under the nose were neither detected at that time. Actually ALL 1/32 MERs have dimension issues! Tamiya ones are too fat, Trumpeter ones are a little bit too thin and have many other errors and Eduard ones are too short...:( Nonetheless, when assembled and loaded with bombs Tamiya ones do not look that bad.

Thierry, I know the F-4 empennage and the fin are both too chubby but what are the shape issues under the nose, other than incorrect panel lines?

Sorry to digress from bomb racks — looks like Dave has got the answer for those.

Tony

21 minutes ago, Tony T said:

Thierry, I know the F-4 empennage and the fin are both too chubby but what are the shape issues under the nose, other than incorrect panel lines?

Sorry to digress from bomb racks — looks like Dave has got the answer for those.

Tony

Hi Tony,

This is not really obvious (Ben and me missed it many years ago) but the shapes of the lower fuselage between the radome and the front landing gear door are not fully correct. I saw that years ago. So, I cannot tell you how and precisely where but I'm clearly remembering it. Not a big deal in comparison with the other issues. Personally, I will leave it as it is!

T.

19 hours ago, Mark P said:

I'm hoping to someday see the empty o/b pylons for the F-4. Yes, I know they come in the marine boxing but I'm not gonna buy one just for the pylons when the navy boxing is already here.

Mark Proulx

Real Models CZ sell thems. 

https://realmodel.cz/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=639&category_id=46&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=79&redirected=1&Itemid=79

Edited by Breaker