Micro-scale and Ancient Revell Albatros D.III

Gazzas

My local club is having a group build so we can all enjoy the nostalgia of our youths.  So, the rules were, pre-1977 molds.  No Japanese molds... (as theirs were too superior) thereby restricting us to Monogram, Revell, and Italeri, basically.  No bases unless it's part of the kit, and no rigging. 

I don't have any old kits.  Between 1984 and 2017 I only built a handful of kits.  And I didn't want to spend a lot.  Luckily I found this 2007 edition of the 1968 molded Revell kit for 10AUD.

It went together pretty easily and i did some major re-shaping of the spinner and made my own propeller blades as the originals were horrible, though of correct length.  I used Tamiya and SMS paints followed by oils.  The 15 year old decals took a lot of soaking to come free.  But ended up laying down very nicely.

One inspiration for this particular scheme was was dealing with that white tail.  I had never built any big, white areas before, so I had no idea if I would be successful.  I used oils in shades of gray and blue to give it shape.

FpY54h.jpg

zhUF9t.jpg

NHkSoR.jpg

Fgfe8K.jpg

bo7RIs.jpg

It was kind of refreshing to whack out a kit in less than two weeks.  I fixed some shapes, but not all.  The decals were probably the best part of the kit.

Thanks for looking!

1 minute ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Looks great, Gaz! Taking a nostalgia-driven approach to building seems like a lot of fun. It's part of what influenced my decision to not rescribe the Hasegawa Mustang I'm currently working on.

Kev

Thank you, Kev.  I gave about half a second thought about scribing some lines into the fuselage.  I avoid it whenever I can.

1 minute ago, Gazzas said:

Thank you, Kev.  I gave about half a second thought about scribing some lines into the fuselage.  I avoid it whenever I can.

Chad Summers has a video on his YouTube channel where he takes an old Monogram kit, and builds it without altering the raised surface detail, using painting and weathering effects to make it look like a modern build. It turned out great, and I found it quite inspirational. I'll be trying his approach on a few kits for sure (though I'll probably still rescribe most of my old LSP kits when I get to them).

Kev

6 hours ago, tomg said:

10 of 10 - really like when those old kits are done well - thanks for sharing

2 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Cool idea; I like it.

45 minutes ago, MikeC said:

Very nice :goodjob:

1 hour ago, blackbetty said:

cool, i think i have a built one with the same markings somewhere....

Thank you very much, fellas.

12 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Chad Summers has a video on his YouTube channel where he takes an old Monogram kit, and builds it without altering the raised surface detail, using painting and weathering effects to make it look like a modern build. It turned out great, and I found it quite inspirational. I'll be trying his approach on a few kits for sure (though I'll probably still rescribe most of my old LSP kits when I get to them).

Kev

Thanks for turning me on to Flying S Models.  He has a lot of interesting content.