Spiders

rigor

There was a conspicuous lack of large orb web spiders here at the home drome last year.  Don’t know which is worse: having big creepy spiders hanging all over the place or expecting to have them but they don’t show up.  Either way, I’m not looking forward to sharing my property with these new Jurassic Park looking things.  

Personally, I think they look cool but I wouldn't want to run into a web and the sheer size of the critter would make me think twice.  However, after reading up on this gal, she poses absolutely no threat to humans and a bite wouldn't even penetrate human skin (the fangs are too short).  So other than wandering through the orb web or having one crawl on me, I won't even pay them any mind.  Now the brown recluse (aka fiddle-back), that's another story....

1 hour ago, Rick Griewski said:

Yo! Jurassic indeed.  I took two invertebrate zoology classes in college during the 1970s. It would be interesting to see one of these critters… once.  LOL

The “murder hornets” give me the creeps.  

I can absolutely agree about those "murder hornets".   Those things can kill people with just a few stings (if you're sensitive to their venom or get attacked by a number of them).  These giant hornets have been in Asia for a long time.  I remember seeing a documentary of them existing in Japan...their hives are just massive!  The main thing I don't like about these invaders is that they can kill entire colonies of honey bees, in short order.  Our honey bees in the U.S., according to what I just read, have a defense against the singular invader...they call it a bee ball.  The honey bees surround a single hornet (it takes a lot of them) and they flap their little wings which raises the temperature inside the "bee ball" to a level that the giant hornet cannot take and it dies.  If more than a couple attack a colony, then there's little to no hope.

REFERENCE:  Just How Dangerous Is the ‘Murder Hornet’?