Bf110G-4 (early)

mozart

Not sure that this looks like several hours work of clean up!

H9COUt.jpg

I had a choice of three different brands of 300L drop tanks:

mwXPmi.jpg

The supplied Dragon tanks are OK but look rather simplified compared to the two AM ones, but the MDC ones are "late war" and a much "cleaner" finish, so the AIMS ones are the obvious choice.  Though I can find nothing in the AIMS instructions to say so, one of these flame dampers is a very different shape, so logic says it's the one that goes under the wing rather than over the top as with the other three:

kJISN3.jpg

Hopefully putting one or two bits together tomorrow! :D

I have two Bf110s completed, both with all bits of the canopy open, but I've had this vacu-form one for several years and I'm very tempted to use it on this build.  It's one of the crispest moulded vacu-formed canopies I've seen and already trimmed.  We'll see how it fits, it was obviously designed for the very old Revell Bf110G4!

jxk0fQ.jpg

RBe9Fs.jpg

Edited by mozart

43 minutes ago, mozart said:

Not sure that this looks like several hours work of clean up!

H9COUt.jpg

I had a choice of three different brands of 300L drop tanks:

mwXPmi.jpg

The supplied Dragon tanks are OK but look rather simplified compared to the two AM ones, but the MDC ones are "late war" and a much "cleaner" finish, so the AIMS ones are the obvious choice.  Though I can find nothing in the AIMS instructions to say so, one of these flame dampers is a very different shape, so logic says it's the one that goes under the wing rather than over the top as with the other three:

kJISN3.jpg

Hopefully putting one or two bits together tomorrow! :D

Nice work Max, I know for a fact that it was a lot of work to clean that lot up particularly the exhausts as I remember!

22 minutes ago, mozart said:

I have two Bf110s completed, both with all bits of the canopy open, but I've had this vacu-form one for several years and I'm very tempted to use it on this build.  It's one of the crispest moulded vacu-formed canopies I've seen and already trimmed.  We'll see how it fits, it was obviously designed for the very old Revell Bf110G4!

jxk0fQ.jpg

RBe9Fs.jpg

I have one of those Tasman canopies and they are just superb arent they however if I remember correctly when I was doing my G-4  I had a long discussion with John about this and there are a few issues with the fit to the Dragon kit as he was initially going to supply these with his conversion sets.

Regards. Andy

Yep, exhausts are the worst items to clean up you’re right Andy; the casting isn’t that crisp and of course they need to be drilled out as far as possible.  It’ll be interesting to see how well that canopy fits, what the issues are and if there’s a not too noticeable fix. Time will tell!  

12 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

So are you planning all closed up this time then Max? 

Regards. Andy 

Yep, just for a change! And, curiosity killed the cat, I’ve just taped up the fuselage halves and tried the vac canopy…..the fit isn’t at all bad! The nature of the beast makes it spread slightly at the fuselage/canopy join but nothing that a bit of judicious PVA can’t fix, and a little trimming is needed at the aft end I think, but it looks promising. Planning to make external and internal masks using the Silhouette cutter. 

3 minutes ago, mozart said:

Yep, just for a change! And, curiosity killed the cat, I’ve just taped up the fuselage halves and tried the vac canopy…..the fit isn’t at all bad! The nature of the beast makes it spread slightly at the fuselage/canopy join but nothing that a bit of judicious PVA can’t fix, and a little trimming is needed at the aft end I think, but it looks promising. Planning to make external and internal masks using the Silhouette cutter. 

That's interesting,  I won't ebay my copy just yet then! Will be very interested to see how you tackle the masks.

Regards. Andy 

I'm pretty sure I have that canopy somewhere too, Max - though mine will be used on the kit it was intended for. I should probably double-check that assumption, though! Care to sell yours, Andy? :whistle:

Kev

3 hours ago, mozart said:

Hi Max
I uploaded a canopy mask file to @LSP_Kevin Scale Model Paint Mask site some time back for the C/D/E/F canopies. Might help with a bit of resizing to fit your vacform?
You'll still have to design the rear half though, but should be a starting point at least. Hope it helps? Internal and external masks

https://www.scalemodelpaintmasks.com/index.php?/files/file/116-132-bf110-canopy-masks/

21 hours ago, IainM said:

Hi Max
I uploaded a canopy mask file to @LSP_Kevin Scale Model Paint Mask site some time back for the C/D/E/F canopies. Might help with a bit of resizing to fit your vacform?
You'll still have to design the rear half though, but should be a starting point at least. Hope it helps? Internal and external masks

https://www.scalemodelpaintmasks.com/index.php?/files/file/116-132-bf110-canopy-masks/

Thanks Iain, that's very useful as a starting point, I'll have a look shortly.

I've been reading, looking and thinking about how I'm going to tackle the wing and specifically nacelle build.  I'm not fitting the engines but I need some sort of structure to hang the exhausts on and the props (had an email this morning, my Daehne props are on their way!).  I'm toying with the idea of having all three crew in situ ready for take off, so for photographs the ability to spin the props would be an advantage.

But back to the nacelles; as Pastor John states in his conversion instructions "the whole build process needs careful thought - not only due to using resin but also because the kit's build process is overly complicated with the various cowls relying on each other for the best fit and strength, and following the kit plan might not be the best for either resin or painting".  Anybody who's built one of these will recognise the truth in that statement!!

So I'm planning on building from the bottom upwards for the key interlocking sections, though I have added a top cowl which I think - hope - should have no effect on the sequence of the rest of the build.

0v599l.jpg

When looking at the lower cowl, it's too narrow to mate well with the kit part forward of the wheel well so I've carefully made a temporary spacer to spread the resin part:

seWBZb.jpg

It'll need a little sanding but hopefully everything is square and true!

Edited by mozart

3 hours ago, mozart said:

Thanks Iain, that's very useful as a starting point, I'll have a look shortly.

I've been reading, looking and thinking about how I'm going to tackle the wing and specifically nacelle build.  I'm not fitting the engines but I need some sort of structure to hang the exhausts on and the props (had an email this morning, my Daehne props are on their way!).  I'm toying with the idea of having all three crew in situ ready for take off, so for photographs the ability to spin the props would be an advantage.

But back to the nacelles; as Pastor John states in his conversion instructions "the whole build process needs careful thought - not only due to using resin but also because the kit's build process is overly complicated with the various cowls relying on each other for the best fit and strength, and following the kit plan might not be the best for either resin or painting".  Anybody who's built one of these will recognise the truth in that statement!!

So I'm planning on building from the bottom upwards for the key interlocking sections, though I have added a top cowl which I think - hope - should have no effect on the sequence of the rest of the build.

0v599l.jpg

When looking at the lower cowl, it's too narrow to mate well with the kit part forward of the wheel well so I've carefully made a temporary spacer to spread the resin part:

seWBZb.jpg

It'll need a little sanding but hopefully everything is square and true!

Looking good Max , it's an awkward buil d sequence here and this is what I did on mine;

Go to page 13 and you will see I had similar issues!

Regards. Andy

Nice going Max. Still not sure what to do with my D/E Nightfighter kit. I have the Reskit Resin tyres that are only good for E onwards but the kit only gives the correct cockpit layout for a D series. Good news though that Henri is still producing his props.

9 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

Nice going Max. Still not sure what to do with my D/E Nightfighter kit. I have the Reskit Resin tyres that are only good for E onwards but the kit only gives the correct cockpit layout for a D series. Good news though that Henri is still producing his props.

Hmmm, bit of a conundrum that Ade, though if the kit is a D/E kit why isn't there an E cockpit layout?  I can probably help you with some bits actually, I used the E2 Trop for my G4 (late) so could have some bits for you.....can you do a list of what you need?

Not much progress today, busy outside in the sunshine but "sub-assemblies of sub-assemblies":

EBp4ie.jpg