Flying Start Models Slingsby T.31B - RAF Air Cadets

Iain

1 hour ago, Dennis7423 said:

Looking great Iian! Make sure when you tidy up the cockpit edges, it's with black! The instructions seem to indicate the cockpit had black trim on the sills.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Although not a hard and fast rule.  My notes say XN236, the one I soloed on, had blue trim on the cockpit edges. Although that was in the earlier silver/dayglo scheme.

Now that's something you don't see get built everyday! Just can't help thinking what the future looks like for 3d printing...... already seems to be well on its way. Beautifully built by the way most impressive.

Cheers Bevan 

On 5/2/2022 at 12:39 PM, MikeC said:

Although not a hard and fast rule.  My notes say XN236, the one I soloed on, had blue trim on the cockpit edges. Although that was in the earlier silver/dayglo scheme.

Sounds like a rather striking looking bird!

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Some photos with all the decals/stencils done.

The decals are excellent - beautifully thin and opaque, with no hint of silvering - anywhere...

48b427_4592837aa7ab4790847337ebdd71ec2b~

48b427_fd3427a4f65c4967b41203a876642577~

The decals for the under-wing serials where cut and trimmed between the 'X' and the 'E' on each, to remove a section of clear film where the strut mounts are located on the wing underside - makes things soooo much easier!

48b427_c01c4d01b9324c44baca24ebd5ff90e1~

No setting solutions were harmed in the application of decals - so a firm 10/10!

So - item the next - and I couldn't resist removing the wing/cockpit struts from their supports and trial fitting to the fuselage:

48b427_c40eb0cebddc492080623275349765d7~

And then, well, I just had to see what she looked like with the wing balanced in place:

48b427_455e3224160c4539898d34328803eb45~

48b427_5fac26e276104c4daa7fbe50ea711df5~

This model makes me smile!  :)

Oh - and these are just a smidge over-exposed - I could have tweaked, but too late now. The grey is just a fraction darker on the model!

Final finish won't be this shiny - will cover that later.

Meanwhile - I have a plan - possibly a cunning one - to improve on the look of the kit supplied metal wing struts.

These are supplied as aluminium tube for strength and are probably the only compromise in the whole kit. and one that prevented the cost escalating.

I have some 1mm diameter stainless steel rod on order. If strong enough when cut to length, then I'll have a go at forming an airfoil shape around them with 5 thou styrene sheet - but news on that when I have it...

"All Out!" :piliot:

Iain