X-15A-2

Dekon

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the compliments everyone.  So work has slowed to a crawl on this but I am still at it.

I finished off the upper and lower fins.  After I sanded them down, I replaced the raised ribs on them with Tamiya tape.

Q5tQOYb.jpg

They need to be cleaned as you can see.

And then finally, the most daunting task so far in this build, gluing the fuselages together.  First I glued the upper pieces together, then the lower pieces.  Puttied them, might need some more work after I prime it.  Then glue the whole thing together.

DBHENR5.jpg 

Finally together.  Man this thing is huge.

L9vh5Cs.jpg

That's all for now.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, MARU5137 said:

Good job. 

:thumbsup:

Thanks.  I haven't forgot about this.  Adulting stuff getting in the way, baseball and softball games to be at.

I was actually working on a few hours ago as we are getting a good soaking here.  Got the pilot in and am in the process of masking the windows.  I really hate masking curves in the windows.  Hope to have the fuselage in primer by tomorrow.

OK, so I have a couple of issues and would like some input from follow modelers.  I have a couple of gaps and was wondering how you would handle them.0lraskJ.jpg

For this one I was thinking of using plastic sheet and filling the gap and then trim and sand down.  How else could it be done?

muq0HMp.jpg

I hate when model manufacturers make open panels on kits, make scribe marks in the back of the panel and if I want to open it I'll scribe it out.  Sorry for the rant.  This one, I am thinking of just using some water based putty to fill it in; makes it easier to remove with a cotton bud.  How would you do it?

Thanks

Richard

4 hours ago, Dekon said:

OK, so I have a couple of issues and would like some input from follow modelers.  I have a couple of gaps and was wondering how you would handle them.

For this one I was thinking of using plastic sheet and filling the gap and then trim and sand down.  How else could it be done?

I hate when model manufacturers make open panels on kits, make scribe marks in the back of the panel and if I want to open it I'll scribe it out.  Sorry for the rant.  This one, I am thinking of just using some water based putty to fill it in; makes it easier to remove with a cotton bud.  How would you do it?

I would think about plastic sheet for both of them.  I worry about the strength of especially water based putty in a place like that.  If the wing flexes at all once it is dried the putty will probably crack.

16 hours ago, Alex said:

I would think about plastic sheet for both of them.  I worry about the strength of especially water based putty in a place like that.  If the wing flexes at all once it is dried the putty will probably crack.

I’m with Alex on this. I’d put something solid in those gaps 1st.

I see what looks like an orange filler. Is that bondo spot putty? If so that would be good to put around the plasticard you fill with. A little Tamiya lacquer thinner on a cotton bud will clean it up.