SBD advice

Aptivaboy

Hi all,

I used to frequent these boards quite a lot, but after a death in the family and moving, I've been gone for a long time. Now, I'm back and I have a hankering to build a large Dauntless. I have the rivet decals on order - spendy, but they'll make the 1/32nd Trumpy model look great. Is there anything else that's a "must have" for this kit? She'll be a 1942 Enterprise bird one way or another, either a Midway Dauntless or a Spring, 1942, Dauntless with the oversized war stars. As per my friend, the late aviation author Tom Doll, if the earlier plane then she'll be in a somewhat darker shade of blue grey since that's how those early Enterprise SBDs looked. Anyway, that's the background. Any ideas on must have aftermarket stuff? A new cockpit? Better weapons? Stuff like that. 

After this, I might get around to building a 1/48th TBD with nose art that Tom talked about. Apparently, one that flew at Midway and was one of the survivors from the morning mission. As you can tell, I do love Enterprise planes.  

Many thanks,

Bob

Edited by Aptivaboy

22 minutes ago, Aptivaboy said:

Would the Eduard dive flaps be necessary if I'm posing the model with the flaps closed? There's a ton of detail inside there, and I'm wondering how much of it would be visible through the perforations if the flaps are closed.  

Many thanks,

Bob

Through those tiny holes? Negligible, I'd think.

Thank you for everyone's help and for your kind words, whether via the forum or the personal messaging system. I lost my Mom a year ago and have been in a funk ever since. I sold my house and moved back to Mom's place to help out with the animals and the finances. Its been... odd, strange and surreal all at the same time.  My mom raised my sister and I alone after Dad died in Vietnam, and somehow we never thought we'd lose her. All I can say is hug your parents while you can. 

Okay, sob story mode, "off."

Thank you again. I'll do this SBD as a tribute to my friend Tom Doll. Many of you have read his books on Naval Aviation colors (https://www.amazon.com/s?i=stripbooks&rh=p_27%3AThomas+E.+Doll&s=relevancerank&text=Thomas+E.+Doll&ref=dp_byline_sr_book_1) He was one of the first to really research the subject back in the sixties and seventies while working for Lockheed, eventually in the Skunk Works. He had some fun points to make about Area 51 ("There are no damned aliens there!") where he worked while on the F-117 project, and I miss his emails greatly. 

Take care all,

Bob

• 1 month later...