Does anyone produce a 1/32nd scale Allison V-1710???

swede

You'll need to be quite specific as to the plane you want to build as this affects which version of Allison engine you need for your project.  There are important differences.

The engine in the P-40B and C had an Allison with an epicyclic reduction gear set, giving the engine a much lower thrust line, as well as a longer length.  The P-40E onwards, where Allison engines were fitted with a more conventional reduction gear set, giving a shorter engine and higher thrust line.  Allowing for the supercharger related mods, this would be the same as a P-38 Allison engine.  Allison engines for the P-39 and P-63 had no reduction gear at the front of the engine, as the reduction gear was housed in it's own unique gearbox at the front of the plane.  Here's a couple of pictures that I took in 2012, in Kermit Weeks' engine store.

NGGRGz.jpg

The top two rows are all Allison V-1710 engine, with the exception of a solitary RR Merlin on the second row and another Merlin partially dismantled on the top row.  At bottom right, there's the rear of an Allison V-1710.  Here's a closer look at the top right two rows.

tmxDGZ.jpg

Top Row:  P-39 engine; P-38 engine; P-40B or C engine; P-40B engine with reduction gear removed.

Bottom Row:  P-39 engine; P-39 Engine; P-40E, K, M or N engine; P-40N engine.

I believe that most P-38's also had a 12 port exhaust manifold, so that's another difference to watch out for.  This was different to the 12 stack P-38D/P-400 exhausts fitted to that plane. 

So if you're wanting to put an Allison in a model, please be careful as to which version of the V-1710 you select for your project.  And also show said project in the Work in Progress forum, 'cos I'd love to see that. :lol:

Cheers,

Michael

I recently saw some photo (video?) by Kermit of the V12 storage shed and my jaw's still bruised from having dropped to the floor so hard.

17 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

You'll need to be quite specific as to the plane you want to build as this affects which version of Allison engine you need for your project.  There are important differences.

I'm working on a 1:48 (I'm sorry) P-40K warbird project with the side cowls off and I wanted to get it right, so I reached out to the restoration shop who did a rebuild of the subject after a crash and asked what dash number she had installed. The owner of the shop essentially said your model will be so small it won't matter!

17 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

I recently saw some photo (video?) by Kermit of the V12 storage shed and my jaw's still bruised from having dropped to the floor so hard.

It has that effect, especially when you see it in person.  Pity it's presently closed.  I might have to dig through my photos and see if I have any more worth posting here.

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by Dpgsbody55

On 11/1/2021 at 5:23 PM, KiwiZac said:

I'm working on a 1:48 (I'm sorry) P-40K warbird project with the side cowls off and I wanted to get it right, so I reached out to the restoration shop who did a rebuild of the subject after a crash and asked what dash number she had installed. The owner of the shop essentially said your model will be so small it won't matter!

Exactly.