I saw DUNE 2021 today…

quang

If the film industry can do .......... 7 Harry Potters ............ 12 Friday the 13ths ( is that 0.923?) ...............  stretch the Hobbit into 3 films ......9 mixed Star Wars ............13 Star Trek films .... :mental: 

...........it owes us a few good  Dune movies. 

And apparently Dune 2021 has taken $220m already in it's first week , well on it's way to being this years money spinner .  

Edited by Panzerwomble

2 hours ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

They also announced that Ryan Johnson was going to make another three Star wars movies. Then they saw the backlash his SW movie received and that announcement was made to disappear, very quickly.     

Hollywood can be a very fickle mistress.

Chris. 

I think we are down with this now , you didn't like the book , you didn't like the 1984 film , you wont be watching this film and you're hoping there is not a part 2 .........which you probably also won't want to watch .....did I miss anything else ? 

No dramas Chris , no one will be forcing you to go to the cinema and watch it ...honestly . 

Edited by Panzerwomble

Very glad you guys enjoyed it and I'm happy that part 2 is in the works!

However.

I dont think I've had such a boring a cinema experience in a long time. 

I'll admit I've not read any of the books, nor watched previous film adaptations, though I may hunt down the older films. 

I think, thanks to the trailers, my expectations were set for a more dynamic film, not the episodic drama that played out. This felt like a medieval fantasy story set in a far less appealing landscape. Neither of which appeal to my particular tastes. 

Pretty visuals alone don't make up for a dreary story line, and in this day and age where almost every movie makes use of cgi in one form or another, enormous vistas and actors on green screens for significant portions of the film are par for the course for all the Epic Blockbusters, sure it looks fine, but so does every other movie.

I didnt find Timothee Chalamet's performance particularly engaging either, though he was noticeably wooden in Interstellar too, so maybe it's the norm for him. (It might work in the upcoming "The French Dispatch")

It took me 4 goes to sit through this film in its entirety, even in the comfort of my home cinema, which doesn't bode well for a brand new, mega budget film.

Again, I'm glad you guys got what you were hoping for, but for me, it was a giant "Meh"

Denzil.

6 hours ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

They also announced that Ryan Johnson was going to make another three Star wars movies. Then they saw the backlash his SW movie received and that announcement was made to disappear, very quickly.     

Hollywood can be a very fickle mistress.

Chris. 

Big difference. Rian Johnson tried to single-handedly destroy  the entire Star Wars legacy and replace it with his new Millenial/SJW/female empowerment take on things, and fans of Star Wars did not appreciate it. They could take/appreciate/enjoy an almost scene for scene remake of Star Wars being called The Force Awakens, but not whatever garbage Rian Johnson was trying to pull off. Dune is just the opposite of that. Where as Johnson seemed to want to do his best to break away from the legacy material, Denis V. has apparently been a fan of the book and had his vision of how it should be for a long time. He didn't try to turn it into something its not, he gave the fans what they wanted, and something that most, more casual viewers could understand and perhaps get them interested in the series as well. Whenever I hear that a movie is too slow/boring/whatever, I know I am more likely than not to enjoy it. The same was said about his Blade Runner 2049 film, and while I admit there could have been some slight trimming here and there,  I have watched it at least 15 times and find it to be a at least as good as the original, which itself pulled in some pretty poor reviews when it was first released. I personally don't watch films that require me to "turn my brain off". If action is called for, OK, but a movie that is nothing but  punch,punch, punch, shoot, shoot, shoot with random, 8th grade level story telling and dialogue, that's not my thing.

58 minutes ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

Can't a film be both fast-paced AND intelligent? I'd say that some of Chris Nolan's films manage that. The exception being "Tenet".... Oh Lord, where do I start on that one?

Chris. 

Maybe, I would need to have some titles thrown out to consider. Christopher Nolan? Hmmm. Maybe Inception, but that confused a lot of people and was even called slow by some. I like some Christopher Nolan films, I think Memento is brilliant.  Didn't care much for the Batman films, but I generally dislike superhero films. The film industry basically has 2 modes. Intelligent and slower paced, and everything else. Thats because people go out and spend tons of money on crap like 10 different Fast and Furious Films, 4-5 different Batman origin films and superhero films that do nothing if not induce epileptic seizures (my god how can people sit through something like Aquaman is beyond me). The general attention span is so short that anything more and they lose audience, which loses them easy money. Throw a bunch of fast cuts up on the screen with loud and frequent explosions and people will eat it up. Make them think about it for longer than 10 seconds and they find it boring.Michael Bay isn't stupid. A lousy film director yes, but not stupid. He spoons it out and people lap it up and ask for more, so he gives it to them. Anytime I watch a now classic film like Alien, I think "they couldn't make this today". Its far too slow paced, lacks a lot of action, and depends on things like a persons imagination. Even "Aliens" might be pushing it, as it has actual story and dialogue that take up a large part of the film. I can see todays audience find it "slow". That's why I am happy to see someone like Denis V. making the type of films that he does and that they are successful. It gives me some hope that, for a little while at least, something other than 20 year old + films will be around that I care to watch. 

Edited by eoyguy

I liked the movie.

In the book Dune, the first third or so is a very lengthy introduction.  The rest of the book is the story.  I remember reading a book review of Dune in the late 1970s that basically said the first 60 pages were tedious but necessary.  After that, the book was amazing and much faster paced.  When reading the book, I found that to be a fair review.  The rest of the book was indeed amazing, just like the reviewer said it would be.

What Frank Herbert did best was create some intricate and complicated subplots, one religious, one economic, one military, one tribal, one genetic, one feudal, etc., filled them with terrible tension, then resolved all of the subplots all at once in one very satisfying ending.  Basically, Herbert "stuck the landing".

I hope DV captures the essence of the rest of the book as well as he did the first part of it.  Then we'll know how well Part 1 set up Part 2.

Rebecca Ferguson (Paul's Mom) is a very "hot chick" (does anyone actually, seriously and "non-ironically" use these terms, nowadays? I think the 1960's want their dialogue back...).

I've watched a few interviews with her and she is happy to tell some embarassing stories about herself (if you find the Youtube interview where's she's in a fight-scene with British actor Sean Harris for Mission Impossible No. 87, you'll see what I mean). In a world in which actors usually try to pretend they're utterly perfect in all ways, this makes a very refreshing change. 

Chris. 

Eoyguy....

I think you might have just summed up modern Hollywood movies entirely in around 17 sentences. For decades now, the great majority of mainstream film-producers have wanted their movies to appeal to 10-15 year-old boys in Iowa. It feels like the script is the very last thing on their list of priorities. 

Well, I am male, but it's been a VERY long time since I was that age and I'm not from Iowa. 

As William Goldman, the author of "Adventures In The Screen-Trade", wrote many years ago: "No-one in Hollywood knows anything". It's as true today as when it was first written.

Chris.   

1 hour ago, eoyguy said:

Michael Bay isn't stupid. A lousy film director yes, but not stupid. He spoons it out and people lap it up and ask for more, so he gives it to them.

It would appear that even the less-than-discerning part of the cinema-going public have had enough of Bay's ridiculous, over-the-top, headache-inducing fare. The box-office for his last Transformers debacle was a (relatively) disappointing $400 Million, I believe (might sound like a lot, but the earlier films regularly earned a lot closer to $1 Billion each). IIRC, each successive movie from the second one onwards did worse at the box-office than its predecessor.  

I think Bumblebee pulled in some good figures, but that one wasn't Bay directed. Personally, I reckon the Transformers concept has been flogged to death now, but I'm sure Hollywood will give it another go... 

Chris.