A flying kangaroo - Schiebel Camcopter of the Royal Australian Navy finished

dutik

Hi there!

I'll yust give the Group build thingee another try, having the best intentions to finish a kit in time. Not that I am scoring well at this, but I am trying. Think Eddie the Eagle here :D

And now for something different:

Drones are the new hotness everywhere in the armed forces. Well, time to build one that serves in the Navy :hmmm: So my choice is the Schiebel S-100 Camcopter made by Brengun. Small, low parts count, no cockpit = no hassle with clear parts :speak_cool: , nice choice of painting options: Light grey, dark blue, Coastal guard red/white, and the black ones from the RAN. Looks like a quick and easy build. Of course something will happen. Murphys law will apply, for sure :evil_laugh:

Ordered a kit. Lets see, how fast the mail is working :tumble: :wicked:

Regards

- dutik

Edited by dutik

Mail arrived today:

sch-1p7jfb.jpg

A small chopper-drone indeed and a kit with a low parts count. The figure is just for size comparision. My kit is lacking the instructions (Murphys law, eh? :whistle: ), but I thing it is still buildable. There are enough photos around on the net, also of the black RAN variant.

Regards

- dutik

sch-2rdjln.jpg

Cut the fuselage off from the pour plugs. Both parts are solid. The landing gear are just two slim resin struts, so I drilled out a lot of resin from inside the fuselage parts to reduce the overall weight Glued front and back together. Fit is not great, but OK. Rear half is a bit larger than front half, so I had to sand it a bit down. Also to fill some indentations at the bottom along the seam. Done! The assembly of the intake PE is a bit fiddly. Dryfit the whole assembly to the intake. I had to sand off a slight margin at the lower outer sides of the PE parts to make it fit into the intake pit. Take your time and it will work well.

That's it for today. Have to take a breath before I am able to fold the PE collar around the intake.

Regards

- dutik

My projects are stalling every summertime. IRL work overload. Tourist season (our business) in full swing, coworkers at vacation or simple ill... I am working 3 out of 4 weekends this month. Add on top covid regulations this year. I am simply done when back home... As always in summertime. It's a tradition :D

Psst! I am still trying to sneak past this by adding some parts then and when :ph34r:^_^

Regards

- dutik

• 2 weeks later...

I've gone wrong.

It's not a flying kangaroo. It's a f..hing shark!

sch-30bjwf.jpg

Also when seen from the side. The similarity is striking! :ninja:

My advice about buildung the intake collar:

Bend it to shape, then attach the rear end first, work along the sides and finally glue the front end where the seam is. Then fill any gaps left between the collar and the body.

If you want to save you from that hassle then simply choose a painting sheme without the collar :wicked:

Regards

- dutik