Spitfire MK I (Revell Spitfire IIa conversion)

JefH

Hi again.

After my last project I'm having a hard time finding the motivation to start anything new.   I just found out I need to start chemo which I really had hoped to avoid.  I think I need a mental escape so I'm forcing myself to get moving on my next build.  

I wanted to make a shelf mate for my last build ( BF-109 E4 ) since for some reason all my previous build were 1944-45.

I've decided to convert a Revell Spitfire IIA to an earlier MKI.  I've never tried a conversion before or using this much aftermarket on one build.  I've built the Revell IX a few years back and remember it as a pretty simple build, but will admit cutting out the oil cooler is intimidating.

NUbkdQ4fKCCeZjym9nI2gTsQf1XDcD90po3-dcxf

I chose these markings from Xtradecals.  One thing the instructions were not clear on was the underside sections finished in aluminum.  In the early war period would it be bare aluminum or painted aluminum lacquer?

LaHxQQAcbi9CEOw0seLj5j4BANK_OxpFJe5GhTjv

Not much progress, but started out with Mr. Dissolved putty to reduce the size of the crater sized rivets along the fuselage.  I got the tip from

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/59005-revell-spitfire-mk-iia/

I did this first with the hopes of avoiding a bunch of sanding dust in a finished cockpit.  I'll follow up with HGW raised rivets for the rivet pattern behind the cockpit.  Sorry for the terrible cell photos, didn't want to get sanding dust in the photo booth.

YD1JFUPo9b1C0NJKdn-az3S4W9FuVFbbQXYuuQAS

Thanks for looking.

Jeff

That is really a nice scheme you chose Jeff.  A lot of color going on this one.  I really like this scheme

Likewise to what the rest of the gent's mentioned on your up and coming Chemo treatments.  All the best for a speedy a healthy recovery.  

Troy 

Very nice project Jeff and nice stablemate to your E-4. I built one of these as DW+Q a few years back and really enjoyed the project. The Barracudacast radiator is pretty easy to install you just need plenty of dry fits with the upper wing.

DSCN1296.jpg

IMG-20141224-152234.jpg

IMG-20141224-152311.jpg

Hope those pics help but most of all I hope all goes well with your chemo and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Regards.Andy