Dragon Bf110C-3, 235-5 235 Squadriglia (Done)

IainM

RLM 71 is down! The previous work/layers did their job IMO. It pushed the tone of the 71 a little to the olive/brown/muddy side of things, but that was expected, as it creates a faded/worn look. Grand!
Just shot it with MLT to make sure everything is smooth and bonded, then I'll get to masking off the 71 in preparation for the 70.

Gqs7wp.jpg

ywvRCL.jpg

xBmJxP.jpg

More evident at a closer focal range

6S6eML.jpg

Edited by IainM
Added images

3 hours ago, fab said:

Well done Iain!

Ā 

What kind of blue did you used for the radio transmitter? Perfect match as for me!

Ā 

Amities

Ā 

Fab

Thanks you all for the comments

@fab If I remember correctly, it was a generic Light Grey with a touch with RLM 75 (Gray-violet)

Upper surfaces are masked, good few hours per day for the last few days! :lol: She looks more like a vandalized chevron than than aircraft.
I'll put down some fresh black base and grey marbling before going in with the colors as before to create tonal contrast.

EZO7eS.jpg

So, my plan is not to create too much contrast around the mask edges against the RLM 71 that's been laid down already, so when I pull the masks off I can then attempt to airbrush a very feathered edge (post masking) to the RLM70. So I basically want the two colours to "blend" more, if you will, ask the mask edges, and not create a harsh delineation between the two colours. Will I succeed, I don't know. Worse comes to worse, I'll have a hard edge splinter scheme. I'll be able to live with that, remembering that this is a very early variant of the 110 with the splinter scheme being factory sprayed, so the delineation might have been tighter than a field job. Also, the Italian Olive drab areas and the RLM 22 undersides that still need to be painted, were indeed field applied, and those edges will not be that tight, so it might be interesting as far as the overall scheme goes to leave the splinter tight. I'll be able to make that deduction once the masks are off.

EZO7eS.jpg

hZqOQ0.jpg

B11LVJ.jpg

Merry Christmas everyone!

Iain

Just catching up Iain, and your build is gorgeous. I am confident you will pull off that freehand tight feathered edge. If I can with a $20 airbrush, you most certainly can! I really like the marbling in that undercoat, and your attention to detail.

Ā 

Cheers, Ā Tom

Topside camo scheme is down. RLM 70/71 with Verde Oliva Scuro 2 (Olive Drab). The original 70/71 was sprayed in a freehand tight-ish demarcation, whilst the Olive Drab was sprayed quite loosely, as per a color image I have of the aircraft.

GS86DR.jpg
I built tones into the RLM70 as well using some different shades of greens to mottle/marble, quite happy with the result
I couldn't wait to get the fuselage ID band off to just see what she looked like - so I'll have to remask once I start shooting the black undersides. More work, but I like the way she looks!

7Mwc1e.jpg

I didn't pop any marbling below the Olive Drab, just quite a thickish application of paint over the RLM70/71, so it looks "newer" as compared to the other scheme, which is the look I'm trying to achieve.

SxsGnJ.jpg

JA3Aa8.jpg

PCX2Lz.jpg