Expectations and reality

John Stambaugh

IMO pride is an emotion and is but one of the multiple manifestations of ego.
Of course it all starts with what each one of us means by ‘ego’, ‘pride’, ‘emotion’, etc. and believe me,... it’s a long and winding road ...:P

1 hour ago, quang said:

IMO pride is an emotion and is but one of the multiple manifestations of ego.
Of course it all starts with what each one of us means by ‘ego’, ‘pride’, ‘emotion’, etc. and believe me,... it’s a long and winding road ...:P

Great song, "The long and winding road".....Beatles?

Yep, I too see pride and ego as two separate entities. To me, there's absolutely nothing at all wrong with pride, be it national or personal. Ego is another critter altogether, and can easily make the leap to arrogance, which I personally find revolting.

Taking Freud's view, Ego is merely part of his theory of mind, being the conscious part, alongside the Id and the Super-Ego. 

I guess there's got to be some connection with modelling

Richard

26 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Taking Freud's view, Ego is merely part of his theory of mind, being the conscious part, alongside the Id and the Super-Ego. 

I guess there's got to be some connection with modelling

Richard

Freud’s view is just one side of it. There’s also CG Jung’s and then the Buddhist’s view. Just to mention the most popular theories of the mind in the Western hemisphere. And they’re all different. :rolleyes:

Believe me, we’d better stick to sanding polystyrene.

25 minutes ago, quang said:

Freud’s view is just one side of it. There’s also CG Jung’s and then the Buddhist’s view. Just to mention the most popular theories of the mind in the Western hemisphere. And they’re all different. :rolleyes:

Believe me, we’d better stick to sanding polystyrene.

Absolutely - although the use of ego in this context starts with Freud

I haven't been able to work out if egocentic comes from Freud's use of ego - I've got distracted by sanding - balsa!

Richard

10 hours ago, RLWP said:

2c3Ltug.gif

I think that if I ever did 'the perfect model' then I'd stop... what's the point then?

But as many mentioned... Fun is the key parameter here. I aspire to get better, I look at the 'masters' and I am inspired, not intimidated. That is how fun works for me, your milage may vary, but I suggest you find out what does it for you.

Well that, and hanging out with the guys. We are fortunate to have a large group of modelers locally so we meet and act stupid together... aka having fun