Maureen - an ATA pilot

Hi All,

this is a provisionary start of a build log on how I work on painting figures.

As is mentioned in another thread on ATA pilots, Life miniatures has produced a wonderful resin 3D version based on a picture of Maureen.  She was a pilot for the ATA, and her function (amongst others) was to ferry airplanes from factory to front-line services.  In the thread I offered on of our forum members to paint his version (seeing he stated he did not feel confident on doing the figure justice), and here we are.

I shall attempt to take pictures of the box and its contents when the light is a bit better (it is a bit damp with a breeze, as we say in Scotland - 1.5 mm precipitaion with 12 m/s winds).

Ta for now,

L.H.

Stage1: inspection and clean-up of the parts

The figure I have been asked to paint is the 1/16 scale version of Maureen.  She is to be displayed on her own in the cabinet (i.e. not used with any aircraft).  So she will be placed on a wooden base all of her own :D

First, the contents of the box:

8Zm02HT.jpg

As you can see each component has some casting blox that will need removal.  The resin is of very good quality and the details are vry crisp indeed.  A few close-ups showing this - some pictures are abit blurred as I was taking them freehand (without stand, my bad).

P1lbdQx.jpg

NcLZb83.jpg

5JWzRlK.jpg

Edited by Landrotten Highlander

And this is how they look when the casting blocks have been removed.  This is easily performed with a sharp scalpel, though care should be taken when removing them from the rather thin and fragile looking bits of loose parachute belt.

Also make sure that when removing them from curved surfaces (e.g. the elbow at her right arm) that you do not create a flat area but keep the sculpture as much as possible intact.

bpMGT0V.jpg

Jpow6ee.jpg

uRy5Ocx.jpg

Next step is to figure out how to paint and assemble.  While oing so I will be 'pinning' the different components.  As you can see in this example of her arms, there is a vry shallow set of matching male/female  squared that enable accurate alignment of the components. 

n6nFM4y.jpg

However, from experience they may not prove sufficiently strong when glued together (this is normally less of an issue in the smaller scales, but I picked up the habit and it has never let me down since.  Pictures to follow when this is done (and yes, I shall be using a tripod this time<_<)

Good-oh LH, glad to see you progressing this, even with blurry pictures! :P  The only part that fitted less than satisfactorily on my 1/32 figure was the right arm, the location of the arm base was rather vague and the hand in the hair left quite a gap which I filled with Apoxie Sculpt. 

3 hours ago, mozart said:

Good-oh LH, glad to see you progressing this, even with blurry pictures! :P  The only part that fitted less than satisfactorily on my 1/32 figure was the right arm, the location of the arm base was rather vague and the hand in the hair left quite a gap which I filled with Apoxie Sculpt. 

Dry-fitting suggested some minor issues in the same area.  However, pinning will solve 90 %of that, the rest of the slack will be easily taken up by some strong glue - just need to figure out in my head the order of gluing and painting things.

Some close-up shots to show off the detail in sculpting and casting available at this scale:

xGh1VCn.jpg

ZWeHUWg.jpg

74Z37Pe.jpg

hCkt2cn.jpg

including the straps of the parachute

vQGH9Tn.jpg

WkGriyo.jpg

The painting process will be unusual in that this time I shall start literally from the bottom (the floor :whistle:) up.  So first the ground (I think I shall include some grasses here to make it more interesting), then the shoes + trousers and strap bits on the bottom part, then the torso with straps on that part, then add the parachute and any additional straps.

Head and arms will be the last fitted - but not necessarily the last painted, particularly the face as that shall be the focal point of this figure so it has to be good.