RCAF MUSTANG...

williamj

Mine will be 9281  Cuffed props,white elevators,spinner cap and wingtips. and a list of small somewhat irritating changes from a standard production pony out of Cal.  LOL.

Remember your build fondly,Lovely job.:clap2:

I really haven't decided what silver lacquer paint will look representative,might try Alclad Aluminum.

Think I might be the first to catch the elevators being white though.

Thanks RON.

Edited by williamj

Holy mackerel! Fast and precise work on the Mustang! Beautiful!

Good catch on the elevators! I don't think I've seen anyone notice that the elevators are white, but having looked over a number of photos it's pretty clear!

Here is a line of 403 Squadron Mustangs at Station Rockcliffe, with 9289 in front. It's the only colour photo I had that showed the tails properly. If you enlarge the photo the elevator is definitely white. And since it is another aircraft and not just 9281 again, you could probably safely say that all their Mustangs had them...and that 9281 was not a one-off for the squadron or flight leader. 

dHIvqpdh.png

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

15 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

Love it,  a man with taste!!! :D

I built a sister ship several years ago.  Here is the article,  I messed up the cockpit color not being black. Yours is 100% correct as far as I know.  Mine, not so much.

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=871

RCAF Mustang cockpit colours are a bit of a puzzle, so your 9590 could very possibly have been interior green Ron. 9281 was definitely black, there is at least one "hero shot" photo showing that. The first batch of thirty Mustangs we bought in 1947 were out of storage in the States, so all were interior green. The second batch we received in 1950-51 were supposed to have had their cockpits sprayed in matte black after inspection and overhaul in the States, but it didn't always happen, even with the ones being overhauled for the USAF and USANG. It's not something that was done here during the major winterization and "Canadianization" at MacDonald Brothers Aircraft in Winnipeg when radios and signals equipment was replaced. Of the ones I've confirmed (44 out of 130 Mustangs), there are more green than black, including the one in the Aviation Museum in Ottawa. So, no one can really say you're wrong. ;)

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

1 hour ago, R Palimaka said:

Holy mackerel! Fast and precise work on the Mustang! Beautiful!

Good catch on the elevators! I don't think I've seen anyone notice that the elevators are white, but having looked over a number of photos it's pretty clear!

Here is a line of 403 Squadron Mustangs at Station Rockcliffe, with 9289 in front. It's the only colour photo I had that showed the tails properly. If you enlarge the photo the elevator is definitely white. And since it is another aircraft and not just 9281 again, you could probably safely say that all their Mustangs had them...and that 9281 was not a one-off for the squadron or flight leader. 

Richard

Thanks for the colour photo Richard..this really calls it and closed the speculation leaving no doubt.   Great info.

Edited by williamj

13 hours ago, R Palimaka said:

RCAF Mustang cockpit colours are a bit of a puzzle, so your 9590 could very possibly have been interior green. 9281 was definitely black, there is at least one "hero shot" photo showing that. The first batch of thirty Mustangs we bought in 1947 were out of storage in the States, so all were interior green. The second batch we received in 1950-51 were supposed to have had their cockpits sprayed in matte black after inspection and overhaul in the States, but it didn't always happen, even with the ones being overhauled for the USAF and USANG. It's not something that was done here during the major winterization and "Canadianization" at MacDonald Brothers Aircraft in Winnipeg when radios and signals equipment was replaced. Of the ones I've confirmed (44 out of 130 Mustangs), there are more green than black, including the one in the Aviation Museum in Ottawa. So, no one can really say you're wrong. ;)

Richard

The only info I compiled was that a large number(most) had black pits,and some left green..but your info clinches it...only some were black,I have pics of 9281 showing a black cockpit but can't post them du to them being secured from copying. 

Again thanks for this Richard, I guess I must be a full blown "Nerd" now because this is the kind of information that really pushes me toward a better representation in the build.

Sincerely,Thanks for helping out.  Loved the colour photo.

Edited by williamj

1 hour ago, williamj said:

The only info I compiled was that a large number(most) had black pits,and some left green..but your info clinches it...only some were black,I have pics of 9281 showing a black cockpit but can't post them du to them being secured from copying. 

Again thanks for this Richard, I guess I must be a full blown "Nerd" now because this is the king of information that really pushes me toward a better representation in the build.

Sincerely,Thanks for helping out.  Loved the colour photo.

You're welcome, happy if I helped. Your find about the white elevators is proof that there is always something new to learn no matter how long you've been researching. The rabbit holes sometimes get pretty deep!

Now get back to work...

RIchard