Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Mk1a -- at long last

Sparzanza

Build thread here.

It took quite a few years, this. Many mishaps. It made me take years worth of breaks. I am not happy with the end result. The pictures will be mediocre.

But it stands on the shelf by my other 1/24 Spitfire now. The final coat of varnish still curing.

I wish I could have done better by it. It was a very early release of the kit. White plastic, no flash. Some pieces were slightly warped by the californian heat, but I loved it. My friend Holger just gave it to me out of nowhere. Thank you again, Holger. I feel like I owe you and this magnificent kit a much better result than this.

Anyway, here are the poor pictures... as to be expected by me. I still keep finding better and/or more important things to spend money on than a camera. :p

kflEAZG.jpg

iw52kpH.jpgeWkG9E3.jpgUl3SdTe.jpg

c38f2Y0.jpg

S3NSmht.jpg

Z6SP2uy.jpg

I realised here that I had forgotten to actually glue the exhausts, so they wanted to flop off as I removed the cowlings. I glued these in place after taking the pictures.

H8HgetT.jpg0zN2fK3.jpg

Edited by Sparzanza

Thank you Neo. Seems I have to add ".jpg" manually to each picture then, as imgur does not provide me with the proper links for copying. It's just the picture URL without the .jpg, or html code,  bbcodes, or "markdowns" for reddit. Although, right-clicking the image directly in the album seems to give me the proper link. Stop being annoying, imgur.

1 hour ago, MikeMaben said:

Nice feeling to have one finished , eh Sparz ?   :thumbsup::goodjob:

Thank you for tuning in, Mike. Yes, definitely! The relief is near palpable. It shouldn't have taken this long. I lose my mojo too easily. :(

25 minutes ago, FreightDog said:

What a superb rendition of that old classic kit, really lovely Mk1 and you wouldn't believe it was the old airfix by looking. I know this because my 13yo self did it hundreds of years ago

Thank you, FreightDog. That is a huge compliment that I happily accept at this stage, hah!

I also built this kit quite a few times over the years, I think my first one was when I wassssss... 10? 11? Thereabouts. Early 90's. To think this is my best result yet... makes me want to build yet another. Minus all the woes along the journey. Here's hoping I'll have better luck with the Mustang that is also awaiting completion on my table.

Thank you so much Dennis! It does go together quite well, and it looks accurate enough... just the absence of detail in the wheel wells and the landing gear not pointing straight down are my main gripes with it. I'm sure there are people more knowledgeable than myself that knows of additional flaws with the kit, but still. If you get the opportunity, do build one!

• 5 months later...

Thanks guys. With any luck, I'll be posting more pictures soon of my 90% completed Mustang. It's very hard to get my mojo back, but I'm slowly getting there. I have several in progress kits that I keep messing up and having to fix in some way, and somehow it just completely drains me of modelling mojo, and I leave them sitting for months on end.