BPK 1/72 B737-800

LSP_Kevin

Recently we had a look at the BPK 1/72 737-100 kit, and therein I promised to take a similar peek at their 737-800 kit in the same scale when it arrived. Well, here it is!

1dhP6N.jpg

My comments in the -100 thread also apply here: this is just a cursory snapshot of what's in the box, and does not purport to be a review. This kit is produced and delivered in a very similar style to its predecessor, and any hopes I have of seeing any of that kit's shortcomings addressed in this later one were in vain. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing, as they're both decent kits, but definitely suffer the limitations of their short-run design and production methods.

All the contents (except for the small white box) come ensconced in a large, resealable plastic bag. I've already taken the instructions and decals out in the photo below:

2jjuel.jpg

Due to the dramatically increased length of the 737-800 over the -100 variant, the fuselage comes in 4 main sections, rather than two simple halves like the earlier kit:

5JeqFJ.jpg

The mating edges will need a lot of work, however:

dd0zbC.jpg

Clear parts to suit are similar to the earlier kit, though this time there are corresponding holes in the fuselage:

zIOgLk.jpg

Though the holes look OK in the close-up fuselage photo above, my sample actually has a lot of flash in the holes, especially in the other fuselage half.

Here are the rest of the sprues:

i8b0ZF.jpg

vxk3AJ.jpg

UVY8fG.jpg

gPnE29.jpg

UuuhNj.jpg

qTr38q.jpg

u9JGHZ.jpg

LsAAKX.jpg

C8Ddk8.jpg

Cem63J.jpg

006hYV.jpg

yJLTZq.jpg

The engines are split horizontally, and the main fuselage/wing box section is split between the two inner wing sections. Wheels and tyres are moulded in plastic as single pieces, versus the rubber tyres and separate plastic hubs of the earlier kit.

Only one clear canopy piece is supplied in this kit, and it looks identical to the 'alternate' version supplied in the -100 kit:

UeOX0i.jpg

The resin parts are by way of Res/Kit once again, and are confined to the engines:

PpnPyA.jpg

kZlykf.jpg

Also supplied is a small photo-etch fret of detail parts:

auUcdH.jpg

Instructions:

79mXXr.jpg

Decals for a single Qantas bird:

3XI2ac.jpg

z9ZPl3.jpg

I'll probably mask and paint the larger markings, provided I still have enough Xtracolor Qantas red left!

Overall, these kits remind me of early Special Hobby offerings. They're crude in parts, and will require a bit of work to tame, but everything you need is in the box, and with a bit of skill, an outstanding result awaits.

Any questions, ask away!

Kev

7 hours ago, John1 said:

With the passenger windows part of a long “strip” of plastic that fits into that slot on the fuselage exterior, are you required to mask off a hundred tiny windows? 

It certainly looks that way. I couldn't find any masks in the box for them, and there are no window decals either.

Kev

6 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

How big do you suppose the -800 is in 72nd scale Kev?

The dimensions are quoted in the instructions as having a span of 549mm and a length of 476mm. That said, I think the length value is undercooked, as I measured the fuselage without nose or tail cones in place at 510mm. Either way, it's large, but not gargantuan.

Kev

12 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

It certainly looks that way. I couldn't find any masks in the box for them, and there are no window decals either.

Kev

For such a well thought out and presented kit, that sounds odd.  There are masks included in the -200 and -100 kits, no?

On 2/12/2021 at 2:37 PM, John1 said:

With the passenger windows part of a long “strip” of plastic that fits into that slot on the fuselage exterior, are you required to mask off a hundred tiny windows? 

It'd be easier to paint the fuselage sides and then insert the window strips.

The better the prep on the fuselage halves prior to joining, the less chance for dust to enter when dressing the seams.

• 1 year later...