Minicraft 1/144 MD-80

LSP_Kevin

Just now, chrish said:

especially difficult as a gloss grey, and being in shadow under the plane and possibly taking on the reflected color of the paving.

you may have to make a best guess...

Thanks, Chris. The best suggestion I've had so far, from multiple sources, is Dark Gull Grey, so I've ordered a bottle from SMS, and we'll see how that goes. I'm hoping it'll be here this week.

Kev

My bottle of SMS Dark Gull Grey arrived safely today, and I duly put it to the test. Not on a mule, of course, but directly on the production model!

qM9HKP.jpg

I have to say, though, that I'm extremely happy with the colour. And this was probably the smoothest coat of paint I've ever applied to a model. SMS paints really are fantastic! I did notice an area on the rear fuselage where I've left the coverage a little thin, so I'll have to attend to that in the next session. But once that's done, I can mask it up and apply the blue. I suspect I'm not going to be happy with the colour of the wings, however, so they may end up getting a repaint. We shall see.

Kev

2 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

SMS paints really are fantastic! I did notice an area on the rear fuselage where I've left the coverage a little thin, so I'll have to attend to that in the next session.

Looks great from here!

I used SMS paints on the Bf-108. They do very well. They're not quite as 'thinned' as MRP and I found that in one area I ended up holding the airbrush a little too far from the surface and ended up with a 'dry' patch where the paint was almost dry before it hit the surface. I didn't add any thinner to it, just sprayed straight from the bottle. And I assume that's from the higher particulate content.

6 hours ago, denders said:

Looks great from here!

I used SMS paints on the Bf-108. They do very well. They're not quite as 'thinned' as MRP and I found that in one area I ended up holding the airbrush a little too far from the surface and ended up with a 'dry' patch where the paint was almost dry before it hit the surface. I didn't add any thinner to it, just sprayed straight from the bottle. And I assume that's from the higher particulate content.

I actually prefer the slightly higher viscosity of the SMS paints, even though I generally thin them down a bit to MRP levels. It just gives me more options - and I generally get better coverage.

Kev

Yes, they do cover better or more quickly, however one wants to view it. 

SMS has a color "Lichtgrau RLM63" and MRP has "Hellgrau RLM63", the SMS color matched the paint chip in the Monogram book for the Bf-108 color too. The Boeing gray didn't match the paint chip well enough like I first thought it might. I picked up various British, German, and Japanese colors while I was buying paint.

41 minutes ago, denders said:

The Boeing gray didn't match the paint chip well enough like I first thought it might.

Yeah, I'm not sure I like the SMS version of that colour, even if it sprayed beautifully. As I mentioned, I suspect I'll be repainting the wings. Just not sure what with!

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

So, after finally getting the venting situation for my spray booth sorted, I've been able to make some progress on this one again. All the main colours are on now:

RyikeY.jpg

I tried a couple of photos against a black background also, as I'm finding this one really difficult to photograph cleanly:

Qd8PY5.jpg

Despite wrapping this thing in so much tape it looked like an Egyptian mummy, paint just seems to find every weakness and flaw in your application:

2JpIj8.jpg

Lots of touch-up work to do! I also need to polish out the colour build-up against the edges of the tape.

A long way from done just yet, but certainly progressing nicely.

Kev

Just a quick update on this one, though I seem to be going around in circles with it a bit! After touching up the obvious areas of paint overspray, I started masking up ready to paint the silver areas:

tnDEz4.jpg

I think I'm going to have to find some projects that don't require quite so much masking...

And to top it off, partway through this exercise in tedium, I realised that the blue demarcation is way too high on the fuselage, and will have to be re-masked and re-painted!

I'm really starting to dislike this model. Can't wait to be done with the painting and get some decals on.

Kev