Minicraft 1/144 MD-80

LSP_Kevin

3 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

You may find this amusing, Kev. I have completely lost/misplaced my own MD-80 kit that I was building for the brother of my roommate! I have no idea at all where it is.

Now that's a bummer! One of only two decent airliner kits that Minicraft ever produced.

Kev

15 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Now that's a bummer! One of only two decent airliner kits that Minicraft ever produced.

Kev

Hmmm.  If it’s really that much better than all the other ones, maybe I need to get one…

What’s the other decent airliner kit?

7 hours ago, Alex said:

What’s the other decent airliner kit?

The DC-8, apparently - though I've never seen one myself. I'm currently more interested in the new one from X-Scale. Just having trouble paying for it, as their PayPal isn't working at the moment.

Kev

4 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

The DC-8, apparently - though I've never seen one myself. I'm currently more interested in the new one from X-Scale. Just having trouble paying for it, as their PayPal isn't working at the moment.

Kev

Cool. I didn’t know about X-scale, but now I’m going to need more stash storage space…

Made a little bit of progress on this one, and also trying out a darker background to see if it helps. I don't think it does to any great extent, actually, as the whites are still super blown-out - perhaps even more than before.

Anyway, I've installed the landing gear legs, as they're allegedly a similar grey colour to the undersides, so I'll paint it all at once:

ddZCD1.jpg

I also traced the white oval background decals for the tail logo, and used it to cut masks to use instead:

iecbBB.jpg

I'm looking forward to getting some paint on this thing. But I'm not looking forward to having to mask it up!

Kev

Did I mention that I hate masking?

xwqYKy.jpg

I'm really struggling to identify, let alone nail, the lower colour on the Compass MD-80. Here I've used SMS Boeing Grey (awesome paint!), but I think it's too light and too brown.

8bcWeL.jpg

Y7wigF.jpg

Below we can compare it to about the best reference image I have:

UzeF9A.jpg

The problem is, I have no idea how to get there from here.

Suggestions?

Kev

That looks very brown for a Boeing Gray.  But even the MRP Boeing Gray that I have used is, I think, too warm for the gray you are trying to hit.  Given that it looks like a pretty neutral gray shade you might try the simple expedient of starting with white and adding black until you think it looks right…

Thanks, fellas. I've even had suggestions of Light Compass Grey, ironically! The only version of that colour I can find, however, is an AMMO acrylic, which I'm keen to avoid. I'm going to run some paint tests on a mule - something I should have done in the first place! I'll start with trying to darken the Boeing Grey, but my real problem is that I'm still not sure what the actual colour I'm shooting for is!

Kev