Minicraft 1/144 MD-80

LSP_Kevin

The Doyusha kit was first off the block for injection kits.  Welsh Models brought out a vacform way before, which I think is better in terms of shape and proportions.  Detailwise the Doyusha kit is also a bit "clunky".  The Minicraft I would say is a slight improvement on the Doyusha kit, but still not as refined as the scale would require.  Both of these are -200s.  The Zvezda kit (also released by Revell) is the -300ER version and in terms of detail and moulding is far, far better.  Don't know anything about the Eastern Express kit, but they tend to be more "limited run" in nature.

On 2/19/2021 at 6:08 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

I'm always torn with these small scale airliner builds about whether to treat them as mere decal carriers in the desktop display sense, or go all out and detail them up as much as possible like any other scale model. I generally end up doing a little bit of both, and get disappointed twice! But when you see the amazing work that some folks put into builds like this, and how fantastic the results can look, I'm generally left feeling highly inspired and desperately inadequate.

Kev

I hear exactly where you're comin' from in regards to what others do and the whole "highly inspired and desperately inadequate" gig. Sometimes I don't feel like we give ourselves enough credit though. If we're really trying then we are learning and therefore succeeding. You're doing a good job on this. Keep up the good work.

On 1/19/2021 at 7:38 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

I had a sudden thought about this one. I don't know much about the MD-80, but presumably it was available in a number of variants or configurations. What if the Compass model I'm planning to build is not the same as the one depicted by Minicraft? What got me thinking is that the aircraft seems shorter in all those photos of the real thing on airhistory.net, than the kit. Hopefully I'll have the decals in the next day or two, and they'll tell me what I need to know!

Kev

Give your head a wobble Kev - you're doing fine. :thumbsup:

Derek

• 1 month later...

I was finally able to sit down at the workbench today, for a couple of hours at the end of a 4-day weekend. Sadly, I spent most of my time staring at photos and pondering my paint options for this build. Specifically, what to use for the blue on the upper fuselage:

0040087.jpg

I'm happy to take any suggestions, but in the interim, I've painted the wing of an old Revell Wildcat in Tamiya Fine Surfacer White, and will test a couple of candidates that I have in the paint stash: Tamiya's Royal Blue (X-3), and Mr. Color Blue Angels Blue (328). I've asked on Facebook, and the consensus seems to be that those colours will be too light. We shall see! It shouldn't be too hard to add black to either of them, and perhaps that will get me closer.

Stay tuned!

Kev

1 hour ago, John1 said:

Nice looking jet.   As far as the blue, I'd suggest Gloss Sea Blue.....

That's certainly one of the options I'll be testing - at least, I will be if I have some in the paint stash! I'm pretty sure I do, but will need to double-check. As an obscure and short-lived airline, colour information has been difficult to find on this livery. At least I don't really have to match any decal colours closely.

Kev

Is there a logo or something else on the decal sheet you can use to match the blue?  I would have thought they would use the same shade of blue in the company logo as they do on the top of the fuselage and fin...

43 minutes ago, jenshb said:

Is there a logo or something else on the decal sheet you can use to match the blue?  I would have thought they would use the same shade of blue in the company logo as they do on the top of the fuselage and fin...

There's actually a paint match swatch printed on the decal sheet, but it looks nothing like what I'm seeing in photos - more of a very dark blue-grey. In my limited testing so far, Mr. Color 328 is looking pretty good! Tamiya's Royal Blue is definitely out...

Kev

OK, here are the results of my limited testing so far. In the image below, I've taken the wing of an old Revell Wildcat to use as a paint mule, and given it a quick coat of Tamiya White surface primer. After that, from left to right, I applied Mr. Color 328 (US Navy Blue Angels), Tamiya H-3 Royal Blue, and Tamiya XF-17 Sea Blue:

4jHDzC.jpg

Note also that I've included in the photo the printed colour match swatch that's included with the decals.

The Tamiya Royal Blue (middle) is out immediately, as it's too light, and doesn't resemble anything in photos or the decals. Mr. Color 328 (left) looks the closest to what I'm seeing in photos so far, if perhaps slightly light. The XF-17 is, I suspect, Tamiya's attempt to produce a US Navy GSB, but ends up being a very dark green (kind of like NATO Black, but not quite as dark). Oddly, it seems to be the closest match of the three to the decal swatch, even if it ain't really that close. I just don't think the decal swatch looks anything like what I'm seeing in photos.

Thoughts? These are really the only colours I have in the paint stash that I thought would have a hope of being suitable.

Kev