Ki-86a Cypress - ICM 1/32 - Complete

Alex

That looks fantastic, Alex! The only thing I would have done differently, is paint most of the markings in full prior to the camouflage going down, and then mask (cover) them completely - sort of like doing it in the reverse order to how you would normally conceive of doing it.

Kev

8 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

That looks fantastic, Alex! The only thing I would have done differently, is paint most of the markings in full prior to the camouflage going down, and then mask (cover) them completely - sort of like doing it in the reverse order to how you would normally conceive of doing it.

Kev

Interesting.  One advantage I can see to that approach is that if there was any overspray during painting the markings it wouldn’t matter, since the camo would cover it.  What are the other benefits of doing it that way?

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Interesting.  One advantage I can see to that approach is that if there was any overspray during painting the markings it wouldn’t matter, since the camo would cover it.  What are the other benefits of doing it that way?

That's the main benefit - especially when it comes to spraying red paint, which just seems to go everywhere, and very noticeably. I also find that I tend to get less noticeable ridges on masked edges, especially around the perimeter of the marking - but that's probably a paint control issue as much as anything else. The various layers of paint seem to blend better. But most people don't do it that way, and still get excellent results, so it probably doesn't really matter. Laying down the white first is definitely advantageous, though, as otherwise you risk very visible white edges on your insignia.

Kev

35 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

That's the main benefit - especially when it comes to spraying red paint, which just seems to go everywhere, and very noticeably. I also find that I tend to get less noticeable ridges on masked edges, especially around the perimeter of the marking - but that's probably a paint control issue as much as anything else. The various layers of paint seem to blend better. But most people don't do it that way, and still get excellent results, so it probably doesn't really matter. Laying down the white first is definitely advantageous, though, as otherwise you risk very visible white edges on your insignia.

Kev

yes, the ridges at the edges of paint areas are something that I still need to get better at avoiding.  I think the answer is, like most things in modeling, more patience.  If I spray too much at once and get a wet surface, a meniscus forms against the mask and dries to a ridge.  More lighter coats with adequate drying time in between are probably the trick.

Got the rigging lines attached to the underside of the upper wing.  This is fiddly work - biplanes are definitely a taste I've not yet fully acquired ;-). 

pmLUIqU0j

One nice thing about the kit (ICM really did a good job with this one in multiple ways) is that the fit of the cabane struts into the upper wing is nice and positive - they drop in at the correct angle and symmetrical without any need to jig them up.  So I was able to glue these in (used PVA glue just in case I needed to undo it) and once they were fully set up...

polnE8Vuj

They have pins on the lower end *just barely* prominent enough to allow them to click in and hold the weight of the wing, so I was able to carefully CA it in place as you see above.  This afternoon I'll see about getting the remaining struts glued in - hopefully that will make the overall structure strong enough that it will survive the inevitable flipping around etc that's going to be involved in getting all that rigging attached where it needs to go.

4 hours ago, denders said:

That is looking very nice!

What are you using for the rigging?

I'm using EZ Line, mostly because that's what I have and has worked for me before.  It does not look 100% realistic up close because it has a bit of a rough surface (vs monofilament), but it self-tensions which is super-helpful.  I'm using the Heavy weight EZ Line for the main diagonal braces between the wings and the Light weight for the others.

• Alex changed the title to Ki-86a Cypress - ICM 1/32 - Complete