Matchbox Tiger Moth RAAF Air Ambulance

LSP_Kevin

25 minutes ago, mozart said:

Something else you might want to consider that this stage Kev is a re-profiling of those horrible clunky “seats” for the cabane struts on the nose. Just a few minutes with a sanding stick on the lower edges and sides will work wonders! :coolio:

Thanks, Max. The thought had crossed my mind, but I hadn't really paid a lot of attention to them. Now's a good time, though, as you suggest!

Kev

Thanks, fellas. I'm currently working on the wings and trying to get the dihedral sorted. I think I've got the upper wings right, but am still not certain of the best approach for the lower wings. I have a measurement that the outer wing struts need to be shortened to, but that doesn't help me determine and set the angle of the lower wings. And it doesn't help that I don't possess a single tool or instrument that can measure angles! At the moment, though, the plan is to partially cut through the bottom of the wing mounting stubs where they meet the fuselage, which will allow them to be angled up by [whatever the correct amount turns out to be], and the subsequent gap packed out with styrene strip. My fear, though, is getting the angle wrong, and having the respective geometries of both wings completely screwed up!

:wacko:

Kev

57 minutes ago, Cap'n Wannabe said:

Kevin..

The lower dihedral of the Tigermoth is 4°, and the wingspan is 8.94m.  Simple trig (well, actually, drawing it in Autocad..) says you need to prop up the wing tip by 9.5mm in 1/32 scale.

Thanks, Damo. I remember reading it somewhere yesterday as 4.5°, but I'll be lucky if I can be anywhere close to that accurate about it, so half a degree either way won't matter. I know that trig is short for trigonometry, but that's about all I can tell you about it. It sounds like I really need to glue the wings on first, and then make the cuts. Could be tricky!

Kev

Just caught up to this.  Great execution of changes to the kit parts to replicate the real deal Kevin!  If it was easy, everybody would have attempted it before, and you are doing a terrific job of creating something unique in our aircraft modeling world.

Cheers,

Chuck

Thanks for checking in, Chuck. This one is certainly challenging my atrophied modelling skills, that's for sure! I've just done a quick test-fit of the assembled lower wings onto their respective attachment stubs, and the natural sit of the tips seems to as high as 15mm, depending on where you measure from (in terms of both position along the chord, and vertical position on the rather thick tips). So, it looks like I'm in trouble already!

Kev

I made a simple cardboard jig for the fuselage and wings to sit in Kev, having first altered the stubs as you’re planning. So the jig was the profile of the “square section” under fuselage then the lower surface of the wings. The corrected model sat in the jig whilst the glue set......I wish I’d kept it so I could show you it!  And as for the ICM Tiggie......what timing! :shrug:

On 11/15/2020 at 12:16 PM, Cap'n Wannabe said:

Kevin..

The lower dihedral of the Tigermoth is 4°, and the wingspan is 8.94m.  Simple trig (well, actually, drawing it in Autocad..) says you need to prop up the wing tip by 9.5mm in 1/32 scale.

Is this the full wingspan or half wingspan?  Maybe need to half the amount you need to prop up each wingtip.

• 5 weeks later...

After a break of about a month or so, during which I indulged in endless angst about things like the dihedral of the lower wings, I've finally found time to do a little bit of work on the build. And I've decided to leave the dihedral alone - partly so I can just get this build moving again, and partly because it really doesn't look all that bad to me:

9CKYbo.jpg

Perhaps a little underdone, but good enough for RAAF work.

Here's what things look like at the moment:

j7XuhL.jpg

Wings are on, with ailerons attached, and the canopy main section has finally been fitted. If you look closely, you'll notice that I've also added the rudder control horns and protective shield:

3UV1LS.jpg

The horns themselves are from a pair of modified airscale photo-etch parts, while the shields were fabricated from pewter foil sheet (a bit hard to see clearly in the photo, admittedly).

You might also notice that I've taken Max's suggestion and modified the seats for the cabane struts. The forward set was removed altogether, as they don't appear to exist on the real thing. To compensate, I've drilled and pinned the struts themselves, and drilled holes in the fuselage to accept the pins when the time comes.

MqW2sf.jpg

That's it for now! I think at this point have to refer to Eric's build so I can copy his approach to the rigging. Stay tuned!

Kev