DH 82A Tiger Moth S Rhodesia 1943

mozart

34 minutes ago, Fanes said:

Looking like a fine solution, Max!

7 minutes ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Very good solutions Max!

Luckily you have great photos to help you along.

Alain

Thanks Joachim and Alain, I hope/think this will work as long as the Apoxysculpt holds the control horn firmly in place, which I’m pretty confident it will. I don’t mind the fact that SW expect the modeller to come to his own solution over this, but these instructions give no hint about it. In earlier kits they have pointed out areas that you, the modeller, have to address but not this one. Odd! 

11 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Wow Max this is all brilliant! I've had a little catch-up, and it's all good, thanks for posting the hole locations. This will be my my guide when I build my sub-standard copy. :lol:

I’m conscious of the fact that I’m trail-blazing this kit Brian, but then I’ve got fairly good knowledge of the TM, so it seems only right and fair. I very much doubt yours will be anything other than superb.

One point I forgot to mention earlier is the “stitching” supplied as PE for the lower edges of the fuselage.......it takes a better man than me to use it! In theory it has to be folded along its length to wrap around the lower corner/edges.....it ain’t gonna happen. Besides which, on none of the 5 TMs at Henstridge was stitching visible in those locations. 

NEWS FLASH.......all’s good with the new elevator control horn!! :D

Edited by mozart

3 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Lovely work Max, this coming together very nicely.

Regards. Andy 

Thanks Andy, definitely my kind of (slightly troublesome) kit! :wacko:

18 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Brilliant as always, Max!

Kev

Very generous Kev, I just plug away!! :huh:

More work on the empennage.  This morning I cut and fitted the remaining control horns for the rudder and elevator, then switched my attention to the elegantly-shaped horizontal stabiliser, here's one that Kevin (not our Kev but the owner/restorer of the Tiger Moths!) was working on:

0yTYc1.jpg

On the real thing it's a "floating" arrangement and to their credit SW have attempted to replicate this with a couple of "bosses" or distance pieces with a smaller diameter boss that engages with the fuselage, which I think is slightly inadequate strength-wise.  So I sanded these off and drilled them out, adding some more substantial pegs from 1mm aluminium tubing, it all works!

YRVMha.jpg

Pt2YaY.jpg

j52Auj.jpg

Bit of a tidy up needed where the drill/tubing inadvertently "slipped through" but it's all lining up well.  I have to keep reminding myself at this stage just how fragile the tail skid is, it's so easy to put too much weight on it whilst working on this area!  By this evening I hope to have the whole empennage together.

21 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Nice work Max; nice to see two different Tiger Moths in build (I am thinking of Kev's here), as it is useful to see the different approaches required for each kit.

Derek

Cheers Derek, yes the two kits are very different beasts in many ways, but the 2020 SW kit doesn't win hands down over the venerable Matchbox kit in every respect; I anticipate using for instance the wheels from the latter mainly because in service they were often seen without hub caps fitted.  It's an interesting build though, no doubts about that!! 

Edited by mozart

Rudder and fin joined, with appropriate "distancing" (not the social type of course):

0Qh3jt.jpg

and for some detail:

lxt7iB.jpg

huRNNI.jpg

That's a kind of metal "shield" on the for'd fin to fuselage join which SW have done well to replicate but for which I'll be making a lead foil substitute.  Talking of wheels:

Ee884c.jpg

Painted Matchbox ones.  The SW ones struck me as "not very good" as soon as I saw them, they may look better when painted but I'm not keen. 

f2XbIi.jpg