Scratchbuilt Bushmaster PMV 4x4: now with paint!

GMK

Thanks, Anthony. Very high praise - I’m a longtime admirer of your excellent work. 

This has been a bit challenging, with quite a bit of problem solving & thought required. Once I realised it had to be approached as designing a model kit, it’s gone a lot easier. CAD still catches me out, but considering I started learning mid-March this year, I’m happy with the learning curve so far. 

This is the printing time for the current version of the build. 

z26xxbC.jpg

Edited by GMK

Completed printing of almost all of the RHS stowage in the last week, with only the underside detail left to print & add. 

This is the fairing & battery box, more of less how it came off the printer. 

0U6I9db.jpg

With the support material removed (right):

dR9hAl1.jpg

The underside, with the battery box at the rear (left side of the pic):

25icVXg.jpg

Finished the bulk of the RHS stowage by printing out & fitting the corrugated detailing underneath. 

PLoVMLZ.jpg

After some basic clean up, this...

g0gvh69.jpg

(Flipped 180 degrees & detailing added) looked like this:

zWZW0Qs.jpg

Total print time for the RHS stowage (front bin, middle bin, battery box, corrugations 1&2, & exhaust armoured cover): 133 hours 41 minutes. 

Onto the LHS. 

Well, after 766 odd hours of printing, in back to where I was at the start of October!

The new, improved, & more accurate lower hull & stowage is in the foreground, yet to have its high-build primer applied. 

HzzZNQP.jpg

Decided to see whether the printer could do the mount for the remote weapon station (known as the protected weapon station on the Bushmaster).

On the print bed:

GLhEkdf.jpg

First pass of removing the support material:

lEprUUx.jpg

More to come. 

Edited by GMK

• 2 weeks later...

Real life has meant that there hasn’t been much progress on the Bushmaster. 

That said, I’ve printed version 2 of the instrument panel (right hand side drive) & used the laser cutter to cut out the instrument panel shroud. Took the opportunity to improve the control screen for the remote weapon station, too. 

jALW2hg.jpg

Need to figure out why some holes aren’t cutting as ovals & also to reduce the width by a hair. 

xUTfPSS.jpg

The laser cutter has also been used to cut the doors for the stowage bins from 0.5mm PLA sheet. 

Pg3vGaq.jpg

More to come. 

2 hours ago, GMK said:

Real life has meant that there hasn’t been much progress on the Bushmaster. 

That said, I’ve printed version 2 of the instrument panel (right hand side drive) & used the laser cutter to cut out the instrument panel shroud. Took the opportunity to improve the control screen for the remote weapon station, too. 

The work on this beast continues to amaze me. GREAT work on this. Concerning the bold sentence in the quote above....Mister....I know ALL about real life getting in the way so just keep the updates comin' steady and build on brutha.

@mustang1989 I hear you. It’s been a tough year, with no sign of things letting up. Thanks for the kind words - it’s been a journey. 

Printed the updated radio rack & power distribution tower. These are located on the left side of the interior, behind the commander’s seat and in front of seats arrayed along the left side of the vehicle. 

Fresh off the printer, with support structures in place:

bSt1Fmn.jpg

Support materials removed (right). Radio rack to the left. The finish of the print will be improved using filler primer & sanding.

rrw5UEg.jpg

Here’s a cross section of a failed print on the right. As can be seen, only the faces of the print are finished to a high standard & the bodies themselves aren’t solid. The amount of infill is determined before printing. Generally, I use denser infill for the structural parts & less infill for interior features.  

w814C7m.jpg

The aircon tower is on the printer atm, which will be located behind the driver on the right hand side of the vehicle. 

Edited by GMK

Well, printing already finished designs is a way of maintaining some progress while real life continues to intervene. 

Here’s the in-progress of the passenger seat backs. Left side of the pic are the RHS seats, right side the LHS. The seats face inward, with a large shoulder brace toward the front of the vehicle to secure the occupants in the event of a frontal collision. 

nFfaYVO.jpg

There’ll be some cleanup, but that’s the nature of the beast.

Thanks for watching!

On 11/15/2020 at 4:43 PM, Anthony in NZ said:

Wow, this build got away on me...awesome work.  

Actually I think the work actually gone in is nothing like what we see in the pics....amazing

Thanks Anthony. Quite a bit here, quite a bit to go. Essentially, this is designing & building a model kit from scratch. Yay!

Designed, printed, & added the seat back mounts to the lower hull to the left side. The three right side mounts that are yet to be fitted are visible near the driver’s position. 

lvS75Qx.jpg

From the rear door:

e6GkWAu.jpg

The spare wheel mount was printed, finished (less support webs), and added to the rear upper hull. 

OaSFiK5.jpg

With the spare wheel test fitted (the spare hub will be a higher-quality resin print, this is a test print):

RKg2QVK.jpg

You can see the mudguards with their pink filler behind the vehicle. 

impressive stuff !!!! there is no more limit thanks to the 3 D print .... great job !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:goodjob:

BTW , could you please , if you have spare time , to make me a "Rafale " fighter at the big scale :)

Alain

Edited by alain11