Ta152H-0/1 Wooden Flaps?

On 5/13/2020 at 12:17 AM, Wouter said:

Hi ,

here are some pictures of the surviving Ta152 flaps. They are most definitely made from wood, so it's up to you if you wan't to build one with wooden flaps or metal flaps.

l97Y0zn.jpgvVCZCp2.jpg

On closer inspection of the photos (I couldn't see the pics on my phone the first time), those look more like ailerons or elevators than flaps. That might lend some support to what Jerry said about the flaps on a Ta-152 being metal.

4 hours ago, Mark P said:

For some reason, Jerry Crandall can't post here. So, I am posting this for him based on his e-mail reply to me...

Jerry states that flaps on the Ta 152 are metal, not wooden like the D-13.

Mark Proulx

Mods: Any idea how to rectify access to LSP forums for Jerry?

So all Ta152H aircraft had metal flaps?

Posting for Jerry Crandall from Judy's computer....admins can you help us?

In late February 1945, the Focke Wulf factory received a list of problems from JG 301 dealing with their Ta 152s. One of the complaints was, "Upon landing, the wooden landing flaps were severely damaged by water thrown up from the runway. At each occurrence they had to be replaced."

This same problem was reported by JG 6 that it was happening to their D-9s that had wooden flaps. 

Cheers,

Jerry

3 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Untreated metal.  If it was wood, it would be treated with a coat primer or painted over. Any more evidence needed, or are we going to talk about Fw-190D instead just to confuse the hell out of the original question? :) .

file.php?id=811076

Have never seen the underside of the wing...looks like paint saving measures were taken with the Ta 152, as well. Really nice shot, thanks, Martin.

Ok, so having read the laundry list of complaints from JG301 from the end of February, 1945 (Hitchcock, pg 155 as Jerry quoted above), I see the reference to replacing the wooden landing flaps every time there was water on the runway (it's reported that the wooden landing flaps were severely damaged by the water, slush, ice, etc.) during landing.  So, the answer to my original question is yes, Ta152H's were equipped with wooden landing flaps (at least some  were) but these wooden flaps proved substandard and insufficient to hold up against environmental wear and tear and were replaced by metal landing flaps to prolong service life and minimize downtime. So logically, there would be a period of time in service of any wooden flap equipped Ta152H, whereby said wooden flaps were completely serviceable prior to being destroyed (or replaced) as evidenced by the aforementioned bullet on the laundry list of complaints.  :hmmm:

Now my next question is:  What might these wooden landing flaps have looked like?  Similar to what we see on the Fw190D-13 or something else?  Let's dig deeper and see what we come up with; shall we?

I'm also toying with the idea of a wooden port side fuselage access hatch.  Seems like a simple thing to fabricate and there's photographic evidence for the existence of that.  Why?  I just like the look of the dissimilar materials on very late war Luftwaffe aircraft.

On the downside, if I do scratchbuild the wooden thingies, I will no longer be able to enter in an OOB category.  I used the stock cockpit and seat with the belts so it looks rather plain.  On the plus side, I can use my HD prop I purchased awhile ago instead of the one provided in the box (which isn't bad but the HD rendition is head-and-shoulders above that as far as detail, crisp edges and such and just looks damn good).

Edited by Juggernut