Trumpeter 1:16 Jagdtiger

LSP_K2

57 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

I actually considered making an entire section from brass or copper sheet, then mashing it out of shape/adding bullet/shrapnel damage, but haven't decided to pursue that approach,... yet. I have no earthly idea what the gauge of the actual material used was, but I'm reasonable sure that it wasn't too stout. 10ga would probably be a close guess.

It won't be too thin, it has to be soldier-proof.

I'm not talking about the enemy either - squaddy-proof is a pretty high level of indestructibility

Richard

After debating this at length last night, I've decided to resume work on this Dragon Bf 109E, but not until this model is absolutely finished. The '109 is mostly complete already, and all AM needed is accounted for, so it seems a logical choice for completion as another entry in our 2021 regional. Ultimately I'd like to complete three or four kits for entry, but I'm in no way confident that will happen.

2 hours ago, RLWP said:

It won't be too thin, it has to be soldier-proof.

I'm not talking about the enemy either - squaddy-proof is a pretty high level of indestructibility

Richard

10ga. is pretty stout stuff. For mudguards, unlike the protective plates around a StuG or Panzer IV, thinner is usually the norm.

4 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

Were these plates cast or rolled armor plate?  Anyway, it looks like you've used the Mr. Surfacer 500 trick to represent that detail.

The front plate was definitely cast. I suppose it needed to be to accommodate the large expanded/flared area around the gun. And yes, surfacer daubed with a Scotch-Brite pad is what produced that result.

30 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

The front plate was definitely cast. I suppose it needed to be to accommodate the large expanded/flared area around the gun. And yes, surfacer daubed with a Scotch-Brite pad is what produced that result.

I guess it would have to be cast with that bulbous gun opening in it.  Well done, sir, well done.

Edited by Juggernut

7 hours ago, Juggernut said:

I guess it would have to be cast with that bulbous gun opening in it.  Well done, sir, well done.

It's sort of odd, but kit has nice texture on the raised area, but none on the face itself, so I'm adding my own.

One small thing that I don't like, is the additional post for mounting the sledge. While I understand why they did it this way, it's still annoying. Post will be removed and handle cleaned up.

6xWEgD.jpg

Post mounting hole plugged and will be obliterated with some sanding.

pfLbOL.jpg

While these depressions around the hatch are present on the real deal, they're much more subdued (shallow) than kit depicts them, so here they've received the first of what will end up being two or three applications of surfacer.

TL5cGj.jpg