Italeri TF-104G Marineflieger - final struggle

Fanes

On 3/29/2020 at 2:54 PM, Fanes said:

I used the foil from a wine bottle which seems a tad too stiff. Can you guys recommend something else?

Servus Joachim,

maybe a little too late - but have you ever tried leadfoil?

I have leadfoil in different sizes - from nearly paper thin (from my dentist) to ca. 0,3 cm.

PM me if you are interested.

Cheers - Reimund

1 hour ago, Isar 30/07 said:

Servus Joachim,

maybe a little too late - but have you ever tried leadfoil?

I have leadfoil in different sizes - from nearly paper thin (from my dentist) to ca. 0,3 cm.

PM me if you are interested.

Cheers - Reimund

You're not too late. I'll add the foil after painting - PM inbound!

Although I had a lot of spare time over the easter holidays, I only spent today's afternoon at the bench.

Progress is minimal but the sidewalls are now good to go.

738812-34859-91.jpg

And yes - there are two gigantic sinkmarks which needed filling and sanding.

Here's a shot from the test fit of the brassin seat in the aft cockpit with the kit's rear wall:738813-34859-70.jpg

Little to none will be visible from the rear wall. That and the fact that I have zero reference for the double seater's aft rear wall, led to the choice to do nothing about it.

So I needed something else to channel my energy/patience/madness: the electronic bays.

Italeri provides basic (read: good enough for 1/48) detail in those areas. For me it's a canvas to shell in some AM and a lot of wires - stay tuned.

738814-34859-46.jpg

Regards

Joachim

Excellent detail work Joachim (thank you for sharing your progress). I need to buy this kit one day, as I need to make a couple of Greek Starfighters!

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek B

• 2 weeks later...

Nice progress Joachim. I'm working on the same kit but will doing it as an RCAF plane. 

The front cockpit tub is the same one as in their single seat G kit. This probably explains the excess length of the side consoles. 

Carl

On 4/29/2020 at 3:13 AM, BloorwestSiR said:

Nice progress Joachim. I'm working on the same kit but will doing it as an RCAF plane. 

The front cockpit tub is the same one as in their single seat G kit. This probably explains the excess length of the side consoles. 

Carl

Thanks Carl, that makes sense - I guess?

Well I've been busy at work and the good wheater in combination with low motivation lead to some stall.

But here's some colour!

Ok, black is technically not a colour :D

756614-34859-56.jpg

I used Alclad black primer and microfiller straight from the bottle and it went down nicely with a slight sheen.

With the third order in the lasts months I finally didn't forget to get some dark gull grey. It is my first attempt with AK real colors and well they're okayish.

Coverage wasn't as good as MRP and Mr.Color, more comparable to acrylic paints.

756613-34859-20.jpg

After a lot of masking the black areas of the cockpit recieved a mixture of Tamiya NATO black and semi gloss black.

757404-34859-66.jpg

I was too lazy to mask of all the instruments. Guess who's already in regret?

I've spent most of the afternoon brush painting the small stuff. No pictures so far since I'm not happy with my "perfect circles".

Cheers

Joachim

You remember the ejection seat handles from page1?

723466-34859-25.jpg

I wasn't happy with either of them and today I had the courage to scratch them!

After a lot of fiddling with the brass tubes, annealed copper wire and CA (swearing introduced to the process) I finally had something that could look like the real thing.

While there's still some CA residue to clean up but it looks okay with the mandatory macro shot:

758166-34859-72.jpg

Talking about fiddly: I am close to fnishing the IP. Brush painting all the instruments was no pleasure (I miss my Messerschmitts ans Spitfires!)

758167-34859-71.jpg

I used acrylic rubber black from AK and added a small amount of flow improver to break the surface tension. Even though I used a new brush (thinenst i have), it was a struggle and it isn't perfect. Hopefully the Airscale dials will distract the viewer's eye.

With some colour and the emergency handle for the nozzle - just a bent copper wire painted yellow.

758168-34859-41.jpg

Still missing are three T-handles on each IP. Has anyone a good idea how to to these from scratch?

Edited by Fanes

Prepare for the tiny stuff

I was in the mood for some more fiddly action and made my first attempt on the t-handles.

Stretched sprue and small stripes from 0.3mm styrene et voilà:

758518-34859-17.jpg

Did I promise tiny? - well that's about as tiny as it gets.

The first toggle switch has found its way into the cockpit.

758517-34859-65.jpg

That's all for today.

You guys with all those fancy models made me go to my shelves, taking unfinished builds back to the workbench.

Watching Chris with the F-104C and this 2 seater gave me the best excuse to pick up the pieces from my Hase F-104G.

Will start a topic on this. 

Having fun, with finally some holidays over here.  

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Short update:

I sprayed the gloss coat (first try with AK gloss varnish - meh) but I didn't take a picture. I guess you guys can imagine what it looks like:

as before - just glossy :D

Pictures will follow as soon as the decls are on.

"Meh" for AK gloss varnish Joachim......tell us more!  I'm experimenting with Kcolor Metallic natural metal, it's easy to use and quite shiny on my test plane but I need to do a bit more testing with under surface prep etc.