Cutting tiny tubing

Small diameter tubing has a very thin wall thickness and it is easy to crush the tube when rolling a X-acto knife across it, so use very light pressure. You can also slide brass rod in the tube your cutting or even styrene rod will add more support.

Edited by GDW

3 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

A sharp knife, just roll the tube on the table top and scribe deeper and deeper. It is surprisingly fast, but the little bits tend to fly away. 

Like this:

I don't have the Cutter or Strutter, I often cut turnbuckles by eye and squash the tube in a small vice

The 'flying away cut tubes' is a problem, I try to remember to put something as a backstop but don't always remember. A sharp blade and less pressure helps

Richard

The above method works extremely well for smaller/thinner diameter tubing and definitely is my preferred method for that sized tubing.   If you happen to have a larger diameter of tubing, or if the tubing walls are of thicker metal, I then turn to this to do my tube cutting:

Z1036ufo5oy.JPG

AAMOF, that is the exact tubing cutter I have and works awesome for tubing from 1/16"/1.5875mm to 1/2"/12.7mm

Wow I wish I’d asked this question earlier! Thanks guys. Cut my first 8 pieces last night with a razor blade. Quang’s right, i got 4 cuts and then it started to leave a jagged edge that wouldn’t cut all the way. Supremely better than what i was doing. Saw the notes on the fishing line/wire today so will add that step in the future.

9 hours ago, themongoose said:

Wow I wish I’d asked this question earlier! Thanks guys. Cut my first 8 pieces last night with a razor blade. Quang’s right, i got 4 cuts and then it started to leave a jagged edge that wouldn’t cut all the way. Supremely better than what i was doing. Saw the notes on the fishing line/wire today so will add that step in the future.

Bet you cut straight through fishing line :D

I put a bit of scrumpled kitchen towel as a back stop (if I remember)

Richard