EE Lightning - Echelon vacuform

mozart

4 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Amazing Max!

This is the exciting part where it all comes together at last!

That beauty on the workbench must exert an massive attraction power. 

Alain

Thanks Alain, it’s coming together well now but I can’t get enough bench time! :blink:

26 minutes ago, Subodai said:

It's so incredible seeing this kit come to life.
Having seen these kits in my Father's attic for so many years, the old revered 'vacu-kit' has always been so intimidating for me, but you're really doing it justice.
This is shaping up to be quite a stunner.

Thank you, I’m very happy with the way it’s shaping up from its “humble” beginnings! Yes for sure vacform kits are intimidating and they do need obviously quite a bit of extra prep with the cutting out and sanding etc., but once that’s done it’s really quite straightforward. The Echelon kits are so well engineered that there’s never a fit problem so if you’ve got access to one.....have a go! I can’t wait to do my Echelon Hunter in one of next year’s GBs. 

54 minutes ago, mozart said:

Thank you, I’m very happy with the way it’s shaping up from its “humble” beginnings! Yes for sure vacform kits are intimidating and they do need obviously quite a bit of extra prep with the cutting out and sanding etc., but once that’s done it’s really quite straightforward. The Echelon kits are so well engineered that there’s never a fit problem so if you’ve got access to one.....have a go! I can’t wait to do my Echelon Hunter in one of next year’s GBs. 

Oof maybe one day, I don't think he'd let me do it now... They're his prized possessions! lol

For now I'll have to settle for doing one vicariously through you ;)

Edited by Subodai

Edging closer to the finish line but I'm not going to make it I'm afraid! :crying:

Stencils cut on the Silhouette for the serials:

D9xXcy.jpg

applied and done:

MyaaDW.jpg

4aa3mI.jpg

Identifying letter on the tail and various wing markings:

DAxawz.jpg

h3kIdn.jpg

But here's the canopy dilemma!  You can see just how wrong the Trumpeter canopy looks, kind of "over inflated":

tmjZBd.jpg

But the kit vac formed one is yellowed, and the one with the second Echelon Lightning has a slight crease in it.  This may come out with the inner canopy lining:

xj0Prx.jpg

I'll get there in the end! :rolleyes:

Wonderful work as ever Max, she is looking fantastic. Seems you have a bit of a dilemma over that canopy though, have you considered trying to make a plug from the yellowed vac piece and having a go at pulling a new one youself?

Regards. Andy 

1 minute ago, monthebiff said:

Wonderful work as ever Max, she is looking fantastic. Seems you have a bit of a dilemma over that canopy though, have you considered trying to make a plug from the yellowed vac piece and having a go at pulling a new one youself?

Regards. Andy 

I have thought about it Andy but I have the experience nor the equipment. I’ve done a bit of “plunge moulding” in the past but this is a bit more than that.