Pacific Coast Hurricane Mk.1 - Metal Wing

Iain

• 2 months later...

Finally nearing completion - after waaay too long.

Replacement roundel arrived Thursday - so was able to sort that and crack on. Quick photos - colour is a little out of whack - but hopefully looking OK.

48b427_f8ce8024dbc143ef81335665f01bdd70~

48b427_54217cb4b125498d90402e21d00dca6d~

48b427_90cb04b37e9f4341add7c3cd1fb2c329~

48b427_d545c9521b80466c8dd30f5841952e2d~

Just the aerial wire and radiator flap to be added - then a gentle buff to impart a slight sheen - then some oil and dirt weathing.

Iain

Thanks Andy - it's taken quite a bit of work - but very rewarding.  :)

I've wanted to get it looking as right as I can, as it's for a good friend who's grandfather flew her - so no pressure!

Iain

Cheers Dennis.

Not sure I want to dive in straight away and do another PCM Hurricane (I have the 'fabric wing' release in the stash) - but I am looking forward to the Revell IIb...  B)

Iain

4 minutes ago, Iain said:

Cheers Dennis.

Not sure I want to dive in straight away and do another PCM Hurricane (I have the 'fabric wing' release in the stash) - but I am looking forward to the Revell IIb...  B)

Iain

As am I despite having more PCM and FLY Hurricanes in the stash !

Cheers

Dennis

• 1 month later...

Cheers Damian!

The sheen is the result of letting the matt varnish (Xtracrylix) thoroughly harden over weeks - then buff the surface with a tea bag - I'll explain...

My wife got some peppermint tea a while back - and noticed the bags had a nice weave - and might be useful for models.

Took a look and they are a woven plastic - so stashed the empties away for use at some point to re-create mesh/screens on models.

Being plastic I had a ureka moment the other day and wondered if you could use them to gently burnish the surface on a matt finished model to impart a sheen, without leaving the surface detritus you'd get with fabric, or kitchen towel.

And, yes, it works...  :)

Iain