Trumpeter 1/24 Bf 109 G 10 completed

It's meant to be Eric Hartmann's aircraft, but there's no evidence he flew the K-4.  Stab JG 52 did have tulip marked (black and possibly red) Bf 109K's on hand, but it's more likely Trumpeter and others have mistaken his Bf 109G-10 Erla as a Bf 109K. His Erla built machine is the last confirmed aircraft of his. 

Edited by BradG

16 minutes ago, Hartmann52 said:

Erich did not fly on the "K". You correctly noticed that he ended the war on G-10 Erlа. This board is attributed to Batz. Why did I clarify - maybe you have additional data on this issue?

Good to know it wasn't Hartmann's mount, maybe I should go with the black 4 option or just go ahead with it (artistic licence) and enjoy the build...I was looking at a reference in my books, in one of those it was stated  Hartmann flew a K-4 as his last ride but that statement wasn't backed up with any images.

If it's any consolation, apparently Trumpeters K isn't really a K either...without a bit of work

Thanks again.

Edited by chrish

9 hours ago, Hartmann52 said:

Erich did not fly on the "K". You correctly noticed that he ended the war on G-10 Erlа. This board is attributed to Batz. Why did I clarify - maybe you have additional data on this issue?

Trumpeter are marking this as Hartmann's, designating it as 1./JG52 with the double chevron indicates Gruppenkommandor, Hartmann's position at wars end. Batz was Gruppenkommandor of II./ JG 52 and his mount was either left at Zeltweg or he flew it to Nuebiberg to surrender to US forces. I'm also not sure that the other profile of Batz K, the <1 is correct either as I don't believe he was ever the groups adjutant. 

In theory, as II. Gruppenkommodore his aircraft should be marked << + --, if you see my post in this GB, I'm building III./ GK, so it's << + ~.

I don't know of any picture though and I've checked my reference.

Edited by BradG

Work will continue on the model, I’ll be leaving off the underwing gun gondolas and try to build it as a G-10 instead, since it’s just as much work to make it as the K.

I’ve already relocated the radio access panel one more station back.

The cockpit is full of ejector pin marks. It’ll  take some time to sort out.

with the engine built up I’ve decided to close the cowls, there’s just too much work to make the power plant look right.

Working in the cockpit I was overwhelmed with the number of ejector pin holes everywhere, I thought about how (if) best to  remove the marks, then sawed everything off the floor and installed .005" laminate. and re glued everything back on, then began adding the parts. The seat was another bit of a head scratch, being very thick and with ejector pin marks in the bottom, I used .005" sheet here as well and then sanded the sides to a thinner thickness.

Here's the original radio access port;

Rhx5rZ6.jpg

I've never seen one this shape, since I decided the plane was a G 10 anyway, I filled the lines and moved it one station rearward (still needing a bit of cleanup) 

QN99XZL.jpg

here's the cockpit floor, I don't think I've even seen a 1/32 scale floor with this many divots;

lrFL34S.jpg

sawing off molded detail to install the new laminate floor;

0jq3pvn.jpg

the cockpit now, still in progress;

B5GplAV.jpg

Thanks for looking

• chrish changed the title to Trumpeter 1/24 Bf 109 G 10

I remember those ejector pin marks well myself. My kit ended up defeating me in the end when I ran out of talent (don’t posses a whole lot anyway) trying to detail the gear bays when I knew I didn’t really need to as nobody was going to look there anyway. One little pointer though, you’ve got the rudder pedals on upside down. 

1 hour ago, ade rowlands said:

I remember those ejector pin marks well myself. My kit ended up defeating me in the end when I ran out of talent (don’t posses a whole lot anyway) trying to detail the gear bays when I knew I didn’t really need to as nobody was going to look there anyway. One little pointer though, you’ve got the rudder pedals on upside down. 

Hahahaha

youre right!

my wife said hurry up your supper Is getting cold....I glued them on and ran to the dinner table

i didn’t go back to the hobby room and just noticed the error now.

Thanks for pointing that out!!!

very appreciated!!!

Back with an update and a couple of pictures (after fixing my last goof) Basically just gluing things into the cockpit and a bit of painting, the pe. seat belts it came with (I bought the kit pre-owned and the previous owner added some details, such that were available) I didn't notice the pe. cockpit placards until too late. 

some wire and cable and solder used to "busy" the dark hole that is the cockpit.

The head armor is solid, I cut it out, I'll add some clear sheet later.

4YIjmVQ.jpg

CMTz3Yi.jpg

do some painting and snap a nice blurry shot of the cockpit...

Pgge58E.jpg

this kit is definitely a hybrid...I wont be going for accuracy, just a relaxing build

L8xsruC.jpg

iEUstBV.jpg

NvuMgmV.jpg

work continues...

Thank you for looking

Thanks a lot, I'm on a learning curve here, not much of a 109 expert but there's a lot of information available on the web...I have to be careful with that though because some of that information can be misleading.

I've decided to try making the spinner keyholes with a bit of cutting and styrene. I then began making plans to close up the fuselage, test fitted the wings and got side tracked boxing in the gear bays...Squirrel!

The spinner under construction;

eSgf85G.jpg

beginning butchery of the wing

STZBD48.jpg

2ykp2ha.jpg

eZwt2Yn.jpg

then I decided to cut away the roof of the upper wing to expose the underside of the bulge (I may need to add details here?)

YXpxL3r.jpg

one side, nearly done...until I think of something else to do to it

NoJgy59.jpg

Thanks for looking