New Home Decal Printer?

LSP_Ray

Well, it does say it prints white so that's a definite plus.  The cost is a bit steep at this point at almost $800 but if you're going to dive in, dive in deep.  Don't forget the vector art software for designing the decals.  That's almost a must-have if you're planning on doing anything but large text or simple shapes...and even then, vector graphics software is way better than raster graphics software (i.e., MS Paint and MS Word, etc.).

I still have my Alps MD-1300 with lots of ink cartridges (including silver and gold as well as white) so I'm not really interested in this at this moment.  If the Alps ever fails and there's no more available on the used market, I will probably look at this printer (or something similar).  It is something to watch though.  Thanks for the heads-up.

I have looked into it.  The printer can be had for much less and is being phased out.  The white toner comes from a company in Germany I believe.  It is inserted in place of the black toner so you have to make either dual prints or pray for alignment.  I have heard that the white is no where near as opaque as it needs to be.  Finally the printer is at the low end of 600dpix600dpi.  I will wait for something else.  Was excited, but nope.  I do wish the Oki printers would come down in price. 

This is simply Micro-Mark combining some remanufactured toner cartridges from a company in Germany (that have been refilled with 'white' toner), with a particular model of HP printer that suits them. What they don't appear to be telling you is that the white cartridge replaces the black one in your printer, so you can't print black and white at the same time. In fact, I suspect the entire package comes from the same company in Germany, as they offer a similar bundle. I can also get from them a white cartridge to suit my own HP printer (MFP477), but at an incredibly expensive price once shipping is included.

It's an interesting and clever solution, but expensive, and not completely practical in my opinion.

Kev

40 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

This is simply Micro-Mark combining some remanufactured toner cartridges from a company in Germany (that have been refilled with 'white' toner), with a particular model of HP printer that suits them. What they don't appear to be telling you is that the white cartridge replaces the black one in your printer, so you can't print black and white at the same time. In fact, I suspect the entire package comes from the same company in Germany, as they offer a similar bundle. I can also get from them a white cartridge to suit my own HP printer (MFP477), but at an incredibly expensive price once shipping is included.

It's an interesting and clever solution, but expensive, and not completely practical in my opinion.

Kev

Another negative...the white cartridge is $349.00 USD!

3 hours ago, Juggernut said:

If the Alps ever fails and there's no more available on the used market, I will probably look at this printer (or something similar).  It is something to watch though.  Thanks for the heads-up.

Here's a Japanese outfit called Elephant's Rocket that still sells lots of ink

cartridges (and say they will be doing so until 2030) and refurbed Alps printers,

sell some OKI stuff too. See the tabs at the top, kinda hard to follow  :huh:

https://www.paoon.com/decal/nagdzizc.html

Edited by MikeMaben

Guess I will keep my Alps setup then.

Still, we need something soon as Alps stuff is petering out and drivers are tough for later Windows versions and parallel interface required. Not to mention lousy Alps resolution.

Looks like with this one you need to print the white separate, too.

Disappointing. I did some ALPs work on one of my commission projects years ago, and thankfully the customer was happy, but I wasn't.  The resolution reminded me of dot-matrix in a way, and the register of the decals in the end was sub-par at best. 

Im hoping, not unlike 3D printing there will come along a big leap in technology that will eventually allow the home user to print white and other stuff for simpler decal setups. 

I used to print and do commission work back in the early 2000's and printed with Alps (mainly for police departments). I used to do multi layer printing using Gold, Silver, and White cartridges. The software and interfaces were sketchy at best back then. But I made it work. I sold all my stuff back in 2003, I now wish I still had it. But I agree, it should not be this hard to print white, its just another color. I really need custom decals for a project right now, but the lettering is too small to make stencils, and the font cant be pieced together from anything else.

You guys must be doing something wrong.  My MD1000 can print 600dpi and my

MD5000 can print 1200dpi.

20 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Guess I will keep my Alps setup then.

Still, we need something soon as Alps stuff is petering out and drivers are tough for later Windows versions and parallel interface required. Not to mention lousy Alps resolution.

They have drivers for XP , Vista and Win7 , and there's a parallel port to usb that's available

just in case you didn't know.  You can either join the alps yahoo group or the FB group. All

the files and more info is there.

l found the company that does the Ghost whites in both laser and ink. From my research the inks only work in Espon printers. Something to do with how their ink cartridges are make and how they print. Some ink printers l did not know use heat which would turn the white ink into goo and bugger the printer.  As for Laser at the moment they only have l think two printer manufacturers toner cartridges available. Trust me when l say they are expensive. l have been looking into it for myself but like a lot of you guys l am not loaded with money

https://www.ghost-white-toner.com/find-your-dealer/

here is dealers available world wide

For you USA guys it is US Cutters.

It seems to be pretty straight forward as you only have to change out the black toner, turn your artwork into an black and white image then turn it into a negative image so all those white parts are black to fool the printer.

Unfortunately for me l have a Samsung C410 laser and a Canon ink printer both that does not have these cartridges available. l would have to run the expense of getting a new printer and the cost of the toner/ink

Hacker 

9 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

You guys must be doing something wrong.  My MD1000 can print 600dpi and my

MD5000 can print 1200dpi.

They have drivers for XP , Vista and Win7 , and there's a parallel port to usb that's available

just in case you didn't know.  You can either join the alps yahoo group or the FB group. All

the files and more info is there.

Where do you get drivers for Win7?  J keep an old , coal-fired XP machine just so I can use the Alps printer?  I tried it on a Windows 7 machine but I could find no drivers to make it work.

2 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

It “seems to be,” but “seems to be” and “is” are two different things entirely.  I’ve checked into this extensively, and gotten samples of the output, and the white is anything but opaque.  From what I can tell, pretty much useless for making decals.

Don't know about that as l got some printed decals from this guy

https://www.facebook.com/Philippine-Military-Scale-Models-1548733742048308/

and he gives you the printed decals and the white backing separate and they seem good to go all you have to do is seal them. l have seen them used and they seem pretty good but l have yet to try mine.

hacker

file:///C:/Users/micha/AppData/Local/Temp/Which_Driver_to_Use.htm

16 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Where do you get drivers for Win7?  J keep an old , coal-fired XP machine just so I can use the Alps printer?  I tried it on a Windows 7 machine but I could find no drivers to make it work.

They're in a Yahoo group. They're free to join and there's boatloads of

info about Alps printers. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Alps/info

They are also on FB  https://www.facebook.com/groups/107365966389391/

Click on 'files' on the left. For Win7 you need the 32bit version.

They do have drivers for Win 10 but you have to run virtual box software.

They also have drivers for Macs , for those interested.

Edited by MikeMaben