Hobby Boss IL-2M Shturmovik

Whitey

I've been struck down with a head-cold since Model Expo last weekend and along with getting on with my F-15E (Multi-Engine Group Build) have started the Hobby Boss kit while keeping warm at home.

Box-S.jpg

It is a beast of an aircraft. Really nice detail and seems to fit together well.

Some filling and sanding then a couple of coats of Mr Surfacer 500 straight from the can have eliminated the rivet details for an area that on this version of the aircraft was wood.

IMG_4503-X4.jpg

Cockpit detailing is coming along nicely with some Eduard photoetch adding interest. I used oils for some dirtying up the cockpit - most will come off after it dries a bit.

The Eduard instrument panel is impressive, just needed some oils to accentuate its panels.

IMG_4504-X2.jpg

I plan to add some fuel lines around the black tank - just got to find some pics of where they go. I've got some showing fuel lines in there but not the terminations or routing yet.

IMG_4505-X3.jpg

Just need to wait a few days for some external etch to arrive with the paint and it will keep me busy during F-15E drying times.

• 3 weeks later...

Built this one a while ago. Needed lots of dryfitting but you'll get good results. Learstang is the resident Shturmovik guru, wrote a book on them.  One thing I can recommend, the tadpole counterweight on the rudder, carefully cut it off and store it til the end, broke mine off, never did find it....

Don

• 2 months later...