New Weathering Pencils from AK Interactive

ringleheim

Another point... I'm happy that AK (and other companies) are so active in bringing modeling-specific products to the marketplace.  I never got the impression that they were claiming to have invented these things but simply appreciated the passion and effort to provide modelers with things they could use.  Shows that the modeling industry is alive and well.  I applaud the provision of new products in this hobby... choice is good!

I can appreciate that some people may already have pencils that will do the job.  I however do not.  So, this is a timely invention or reinvention.  My wife's waxy set isn't much use.

I must add that, despite my satire, I am amongst the target group for any model related paraphernalia that hits the market. 

My latest purchase was a nail-varnish paint shaker. Perfect for Tamiya paints - I'm surprised that a model company hasn't adopted it yet?

wholesale-nail-polish-shake-paint-shaker

48 minutes ago, DeanKB said:

I must add that, despite my satire, I am amongst the target group for any model related paraphernalia that hits the market. 

My latest purchase was a nail-varnish paint shaker. Perfect for Tamiya paints - I'm surprised that a model company hasn't adopted it yet?

WRONG!!!

Now available at Uschi van der Rosten's web store:

https://www.uschivdr.com/shopping-categories/shop-tools-hardware/ 

4 hours ago, DeanKB said:

There is a similar product from a brand called Robart. It has been available through the Mikro Mark catalogue for at least two decades, albeit at a higher price. https://www.micromark.com/Paint-Shaker-120v-AC

HTH,

Radu

I ordered a set of these pencils after watching a video on them.  I can see a reason for getting them as a package deal.  Also with them being color specific to what we work with I don't have to guess at what would be good choices or trial and error it.

20 hours ago, dashotgun said:

I went to Michaels( a  us disount art and  hobby store) and got their artist loft water color pencils (24 pencils including a brush)it was  16 usd then 40% off coupon so 10  dollars usd.  If nothing else it is worth it to try it out.  I am not sure the derwant ( which are very expensive) is worth the extra  $.  I am not sure  about the metalic colors I thought the point of this is that with water they ran?  Duplciating dirt grease oil and mud.  Metal colors don't run as such and I would guess their are easier ways to  do chiipping etc.  \

https://www.michaels.com/default/10126136.html#jmp-view-reviews

i bought the aritist  loft and am returning it  and going with the derwant   review to follow

2 hours ago, ScanmanDan said:

And I made my own wet palette for $0 from bits and pieces I pinched from SWMBO's kitchen, do I win a prize? And your point is?

When did selling products become an altruistic endeavour?  I find it laughable that in other threads we comment on fancy, expensive autos that to my mind are way overpriced, but in all kinds of threads companies are pilloried for their pricing structure.  If you don't want to pay the man then don't play the game.  It would seem as if some folks don't understand either freewill or capitalism.

Personally I don't give a rats how AK, Tamiya or my local hobby shop price their goods.  I assess my needs and pocketbook and act accordingly.  I'm just happy that folks are producing materials for the hobby.  Now if folks are only suggesting cheaper alternatives and not trying to infer that the companies are somehow 'ripping off' the poor modellers that's another matter.

To the matter at hand, anyone have some hands on experience with the darn pencils?  What are they really like.

My point was that the $64 paint mixer is the same $25 paint mixer. Exactly the same. Except for a sticker. If it can be sold for $25 profitably, then it must reasonably not cost more than perhaps $20?

Good luck to then for selling a $20 paint mixer for $64. They know their market!

I love all the gadgets & new stuff for sale. I should know, I've bought most of it! But equally, we shouldn't just accept every new item for sale at face value.

This is a discussion board, after all?

For what it’s worth I’ve bought the aluminum pencil from AK for wing root chipping on a spit. So far I’m not impressed as it seem to just skip off the surface. In fairness, the model is gloss coated, which tends to make using any pencil difficult. I’ll try again after a couple of coats of flat

1 hour ago, TimHepplestone said:

For what it’s worth I’ve bought the aluminum pencil from AK for wing root chipping on a spit. So far I’m not impressed as it seem to just skip off the surface. In fairness, the model is gloss coated, which tends to make using any pencil difficult. I’ll try again after a couple of coats of flat

Yup, a matt surface is needed. I think they suggest that.

Even my beloved Prismacolor pencil won't touch a gloss surface.