HB B-24J "Going My Way"

TimW

9 minutes ago, mgunns said:

Lots of nice interior work there that will, sadly, not be seen once you mate the fuselage halves.  The bomb aimer position is nice with all that stuff you have in there that will be seen.  How did you weigh the nose, or are you going to prop the rear with  a ladder or something?  I have this kit, but I am thinking of selling it, it's just too big for my space.

Going the ladder route, like with the old 1/48th kit.

Cheers,

Tim W

• 2 months later...

Long overdue update....discovered some interesting things putting the fuselage together--or should I say "trying" to put it together.  First, all the aft bulkheads are TOO BIG!   This includes the smaller ones at the bottom of the fuselage toward the turret.  The platform the tail turret goes on?  Too big.  You can't get the fuselage together with those parts as they are molded.

I had to trim a bunch off all the edges and sand them down.  Pics to come, but this was a major disappointment.  How do you screw up something so basic?

Also having some fit issues forward, but they are less dramatic.  I have to admit, not something I've seen before in a kit like this.

Tim W.

Edited by TimW

Not just me then, most bulkhead in this kit need some trimming to get the fuselage halves to close.

Fortunately I havnt got to the painting stages yet, looking forward to seeing your progress. 

Regards. Andy 

Edited by monthebiff

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, TimW said:

Yeah, I know...wasn't done by 12/31.  But I'm still working on it, so I suppose there will be updates in the WiP folder!

Happy New Year, everybody!

Tim W.

I've just moved the thread for you, Tim.

Kev

And I'm also finding the various bits that go in the main landing gear wells also DO NOT FIT properly.

This is disappointing.  Really makes me wonder how much engineering actually went into this kit, which otherwise fits together OK.  There are some major WTFs with fit. 

More to come...

Tim W.

19 hours ago, TimW said:

And I'm also finding the various bits that go in the main landing gear wells also DO NOT FIT properly.

This is disappointing.  Really makes me wonder how much engineering actually went into this kit, which otherwise fits together OK.  There are some major WTFs with fit. 

More to come...

Tim W.

sorry to hear this

could you post some pictures of the parts / areas you are having issues with?

Cees may be able to help given he fit the parts ok it seems?

cheers

Nick

5 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

Strange, I built the main wells on my example and the fit (although a bit tight in places) fitted very well.

Cees

Could have been me--if those outer walls of the landing gear bay are not aligned just so, it causes problems.  You really have to watch what you are doing.

Did you find the tabs all worked?  Some of them were too big for the slots, I found.

6 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

sorry to hear this

could you post some pictures of the parts / areas you are having issues with?

Cees may be able to help given he fit the parts ok it seems?

cheers

Nick

Main gear bays.  I'll get some pics, hopefully this week.

• 3 weeks later...

Well....some of you may have  heard (or may not) that I got home Monday to the not terribly reassuring image of fire engines outside my home.

Something in the trash bucket in my hobby room ignited.  No idea what, no idea how.  But it pretty much destroyed my works in progress, including the B-24.  On the plus side, the firefighters put it out in minutes--I credit my 15 year old boy for reacting exactly correctly when he realized what was going on and calling 911, getting outside and getting help from the neighbors.

So while the fire damage was not extensive, the heat damage was.  The B-24, both of my 1/200th Battleships, a 1/72 Canadian Corvette, several 1/16 figures, two WNW biplanes (DH-9A and Salmson 2A2), a 1/16 T-34 diorama, a dio of IDF paras in a halftrack and a recently finished Normandy diorama...well, they all look like Salvador Dali paintings now.

I'm glad the damage was not worse and I'm glad nobody was hurt.  That comes first and foremost.

But hours and hours, never mind thousand of dollars in kits, paint, AM, etc--all poof.

I'm still trying to get my mind around this.

Not sure when I'll be modelling again--insurance guys and the clean up/repair people will be busy for a time, so at least I'll get a brand new war room out of it.

Anyway.   "Going My Way," lost to enemy action...

Tim W.

Holy cow Tim, that sucks bad!  So sorry that happened................true all can be replaced  and glad no one got hurt, but that is a big blow to be sure. Id be very curious to talk to the fire investigator in charge of this incident, and see if they have a clue what actually started it.   I've been through 2 major house fires in houses Ive lived in (one in my parents old house, and one in my current house from different issues) and sifting through the after effects of a fire.........................there is a smell there, and sites you tend never to forget. 

Hope insurance can help with it. 

6 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Holy cow Tim, that sucks bad!  So sorry that happened................true all can be replaced  and glad no one got hurt, but that is a big blow to be sure. Id be very curious to talk to the fire investigator in charge of this incident, and see if they have a clue what actually started it.   I've been through 2 major house fires in houses Ive lived in (one in my parents old house, and one in my current house from different issues) and sifting through the after effects of a fire.........................there is a smell there, and sites you tend never to forget. 

Hope insurance can help with it. 

Insurance is on it--they've been great so far.   My guess is a smoldering cigar butt--but that means something that was probably in there Saturday took 2 days to ignite?  Plus, when i dispose of any cigarillo butts etc. I wet them just to be sure.   

Hard to know what happened for sure now, as the ashtray was soaked so if there were butts in there they are gone now.  Friend of mine smoked a couple during a wargaming session Saturday but there's nothing to suggest they were (1) still lit or (2) got tossed in bucket.

The bucket melted to slag, taking some 28mm WWI minis with it.  Luckily my other wargaming stuff survived (mostly).

The house damage guy came out this morning...the clean up/repair guys are already on site.  I have to make sure none of my surviving display stuff gets damaged.  The firefighters already shot down my Trumpeter Su-25.   Total wreck.