BF-110G4, Dragon + AIMs = 2Z+AA

Shawn M

44 minutes ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Good trick, is it possible to do the same with pre-painted parts?

Alain

6 minutes ago, Shawn M said:

I would not think so as you heat it over a flame till its red hot. Pretty sure the paint would burn off instantly.

Nope. The pre-colored PE just burns up the paint and depending on  how hot the flame you are using is, it flakes off in little dusty chunks.

26 minutes ago, Shawn M said:

speaking from personal experience Brian?

Yes.   :lol: 

Fortunately, it was an old PE set that came with my Eduard set for the SU-30, and I didnt need it, just wanted to see how the painted PE behaved when annealed VS non painted.

I can say there is no real difference, other than the painted PE you have to be a bit more careful with, as depending on the flame used, you may have to hold it over the fire a bit longer to get the paint to burn off. Also use a range hood to exit the fumes, cause burnt paint stinks! 

Also, if a pencil or regular torch is used, dont try to anneal PE screen or really thin belts!   You end up with a puff of ash ! 

I used my gas range to anneal it, cause ya know a 10" diameter flame is far more efficient (and fun) to anneal a 2x2 sheet of brass (LOL)

I got a fair amount done last night with wiring on the sidewalls and getting a grasp on where and how to run the rear O2 hoses. Also managed to finally find some decent pics of the brake line routing on the gear legs so I added those as well.

I should get pics up over the weekend.

Any of you kind folks have a diagram or picture of how the O2 hose routing goes from the regulator on the port side to the position on the starboard side? This would traverse the "void" for the canons.

Now I can make assumptions here, but I would like to think this would be cautiously routed to avoid the hot guns and the flammable O2.

I had big plans to get paint, etc on this weekend.

after two major work issues I did not :(

However, this is what I got done this past week:

I found and re attached the 4th clamp

46058861335_13f78c5609_b.jpg

O2 hoses run

33097157128_55c56c8172_b.jpg

46920666722_66cff2a92e_b.jpg

added another flashlight

33097157798_206596e2a4_b.jpg

started the wiring and battery install, then finished it

46920668582_5dfe3562fe_b.jpg

46920667682_4bfa427407_b.jpg

had to scab back on some material I lost when I got sloppy, but the height is correct again and I got all the 2 system on

33097158938_50126a7891_b.jpg

brake lines, Im calling it good enough

33097158378_16f6706d2d_b.jpg

All very smart work Shawn; for me this whole aft cockpit section was the most testing from a skills, concentration, accuracy and motivation point of view!  I was damned glad when it was over, then not too sure if it was worth it!! But keep going, you're nearly there and doing a splendid job!

2 hours ago, mozart said:

All very smart work Shawn; for me this whole aft cockpit section was the most testing from a skills, concentration, accuracy and motivation point of view!  I was damned glad when it was over, then not too sure if it was worth it!! But keep going, you're nearly there and doing a splendid job!

Couldn't agree more Max, lots of hard work but worth it in the end once you have worked out the conundrum of getting the SM and Co2 rack fitted. The thing that caused my motivation issues was the vac rear portion of the canopy but then I did decide to add internal framing as well which was well worth doing in the end once all the masking was off.!!

Cracking work as usual Shawn and keep going.

Regards. Andy

thanks guys

This has definitely turned into a project of sub assemblies and sub sub assemblies lol

Andy and Max, the rear pit is definitely the most involved and most confusing aspect of the conversion. I started to lay out the floor work for the schrage and will need to really study all my pics to get it right.

I've already made allowances to move the rear PE bulkhead back 5mm, and will use one of the kit gas bottles for the assembly since Im not using them in the nose bay.

I decided the rear O2 lines will just go into the "void" of the canon bay as I dont feel the added time and energy routing them would be worth it in the end.

I made a quick hobby store run over the weekend to get the .05mm square stock for the rear canopy and located all the round stock I need for the front roll over hoop and racks in my existing stock stash.

Progress may be glacial this week, gonna be a hard emotional week so if I drop off the radar dont be surprised.

14 hours ago, Fanes said:

Looking mighty good!
if you want to go a little bit more crazy on the landing gear:
The flexible part of the brake line (the arch) seems to have a slightly bigger diameter and may be braided - good photos are rare!

yeah Fanes, the gear is not very well documented and Im relying heavily on others builds for details. I found all sorts of schematics and diagrams for parts of it, but huge research gaps in other areas!

Throughout this project I have found more voids and mysteries in documentation then helpful items lol!