1/32 Tamiya F4U-1A (2018 Finished)...

Juggernut

I managed to finish one this year but my excuse is I didn't have a workshop/bench until September.

This F4U-1A was one of Ira Kepford's  assigned aircraft and is from VF-17.  The kit is out of the box (including the rubber tires...) with the exception of Radu's US Seatbelt set.. I just cannot get PE seatbelts to look convincing.  I used the EagleCals sheet for this one as Kepford's aircraft has always been one of my favorites.  I discovered, based on the Bureau No. (17684) provided on the EagleCals sheet, that this was a very early F4U-1A and I had to make some "changes/omissions" to the Tamiya kit to more accurately represent such an aircraft.   I used both Dana Bell's books on the Corsair to track some of the changes and others were taken, albeit with a healthy does of skepticism, from the Tamiya instructions.  The changes I made were as follows:

1. Seat and selected components painted dull dark green in an otherwise interior green cockpit.

2. Deleted landing gear/dive brake handle (just didn't put it on).  Tamiya gives you the early landing gear actuator lever just below the gun charging knobs on the lower left side of the instrument panel.

3. Replicated wooden trough "risers" that were used prior to metal ones being developed (just painted the Tamiya parts in a wood grain texture).

4. Chopped the flare pistol from the battery and sent it to the bin. 

5. Early style R-2800 ignition system (unpressurized).

6. Cowl flaps around entire engine cowl (these may have been fastened down but I have no reference to indicate which is correct so I followed the Tamiya instructions for Tommy Blackburn's "Big Hog"    which is also an early F4U-1A.)

7. White lite on upper right wing per Tamiya instructions for "Big Hog".

8. Short tail wheel strut.

9. Landing light on left wing underside.

10. Antenna per Tamiya as I don't have the references to determine which type of antenna is correct for this aircraft.

I used Tamiya paints and used Mig Ammo heavy chipping and weathering fluid to create the wear patterns on the wings.  Oil stains are by Floquil "Oily Black" and exhaust is black and grey pastel.  I may add some more staining to the fuselage around the fuel tanks (the caps for which I forgot to paint red).

The only problem I had with this kit was breaking off the damned pitot tube every time I looked at the kit....  Oh, and the photography.  I'm still learning how to use this Nikon DSLR and the auto settings with room lighting don't exactly yield the best results as you can see, even with a tripod.  Oh well, subsequent builds may get photographed better as I learn.

I managed to sneak this one under the wire for 2018 and am eyeing my stash to see which kit will be next but may hold off in anticipation of the Ki-45 from ZM.

ukrtoZ7.jpg

Z64EK49.jpg

oRVEbvy.jpg

OsW7KTD.jpg

bPcbvJy.jpg

uWQm31N.jpg

hijTxAE.jpg

ifuGaKw.jpg

Tk6X4xd.jpg

XMZ29nw.jpg

KTii9eM.jpg

ytXE6lc.jpg

JD0FViQ.jpg

Axoa6dL.jpg

Edited by Juggernut

On 12/31/2018 at 9:54 PM, MikeMaben said:

Nice one ,  luv your stainage  :clap2:

Thanks for the kind words.  I sometimes overdoo the stains then it's kind of tough to "unstain" it.  Shep Paine always said (and he wrote in his books on weathering) and I'm paraphrasing here; "When you think just a little more would do, it's time to stop."  Remembering the words is easy...putting it into practice, not so easy.

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Nice! Very well done indeed 

Thanks Brian, I haven't really built a model (to completion) in over three years.  It was a goal to get this one off the bench but not necessarily before the new year.  I've got plans to put this one on a crushed coral hardstand (or so to speak) with a solitary figure and some more wear and tear....  It just looks too clean up top.

20 hours ago, TimW said:

Beautiful, especially the weathering!

Thanks so much.  At 56 and although I've been doing this a long time, I'm still learning techniques.  I did run into a few minor issues with the weathering that caused me some stress but I was able to cover them up or repair the damage done so it's not readily visible.  I think I might add to the oil stains from the engine.  The R-2800 is a notorious leaker (as are all radial, reciprocating engines).  I learned a long time ago that if the engine isn't leaking oil, there's no oil in it.  With that in mind, I may decide to add more, I just don't know at the moment.  I still have the Shep Paine montra going in the back of my head saying "just a little bit more is not needed..., you've got enough."  Maybe some fuel stains on the upper fuselage may help...

19 hours ago, John1 said:

Really nice job!   

Thanks John; I've been watching your build as well.  You've got me beat by a country mile with all the added details that I just didn't want to delve into in this build.  I've also got one of those -1D's in the stash and it's slated for a set of Fundekal's, VMF-312 decals.  It may be awhile before I get to it though....  I just can't build the same kit back-to-back; I'll lose interest and it'll end up on the shelf of doom.