Hasegawa Nakajima Ki 84 Hayate

dennismcc

10 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Not sure about shipping, but places like Bass Pro shop have the set:

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/lead-wire-assortment

I would think that shipping would kill that one but it still gives me an idea of sizes, so I will have to look at the fishing community over here, thanks for that

Cheers

Dennis

Now to the markings, I bought the Maketar set for the Ki84 as I dislike decals and am rubbish at applying them so I normally use masks. However the masks I ordered are Kabuki tape and I could not see what was on the sheet as the cuts are very fine and the instructions are non existant. I could not see the masks and did not know what half of them did, I'm sure that there were some that would have been very handy and they were well made. The canopy masks were very good and the instructions for them were very clear. though.

So I could make out the Hinomaru's but did not know which applied to my subject so I had to measure the kit decals to find the ones to use on the sheet.

bFb5A3.jpg

These were then cut out.

LL2Spr.jpg

The problem that I had with the "Bandages" was to ensure that I got the markings central and in the right position on the wing, so I measured the mask and the "bandage" and put some Tamiya tape across the wing to get the marking central, some pen marks were then made on the mask lining up on panel lines to ensure that the position on the wing was correct.

A2syUQ.jpg

The masks were then prepared with some transfer Tamiya tape to hold the circle in the mask, this would ensure that the mask stayed round and I was not left with egg shaped markings.

All ready to go with the mask circles removed.

bbNKMK.jpg

Everything else masked off just in case.

kMjybR.jpg

The the airbrush was loaded up with Sovereign Colourcoats ACJ20 Hinomaru Red and way I went.

The finished article

1X0DfW.jpg

UiBQOt.jpg

And a small repair was needed where I had polished the matt paint a bit too much, a small decal goes here so rather that use a gloss coat I just buff up the area with a nail buffer, so out with the Sovereign Colourcoats ARJ01 Khaki and it was like new..

It wasn't all a success story as I failed trying to line up the mask on the tail, I just could not get it to fit where it transitions from the fin to the fuselage so i will reluctantly have to use the kit decal.

Cheers

Dennis

20 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Lovely job going on here Dennis.  Awesome clean build.

Troy

Thank you Troy, it will get marginally dirtier later but as I'm rubbish at weathering it won't be much !

20 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

That looks terrific, Den!

Kev

Thanks Kev, I'm really beginning to get back into the modelling" groove" and enjoying it.

19 hours ago, Shawn M said:

love it!

Thank you Shawn, it's nice to hear it.

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have not been neglecting this one too much, the tail marking was still bugging me so I decided to revert to my original plan, initially I painted the tail yellow to reverse mask the marking but I decided to mask it off as normal, my sausage like fingers were not up to this so I gave up.

Rather that use a decal which I don't like and would not match the other yellows that I had airbrushed I went as follows:

Tail airbrushed yellow.

UlcOfz.jpg

Spare Kabuki mask supplied by Matetar, with transfer tape applied to hold it together while I placed it on the model.

aoe74C.jpg

Mask surround removed, ready to apply to model.

fkY6q2.jpg

Mask applied to model

26vXq8.jpg

And the result, just need to do the red "shadow" lines now.

4rcmPR.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

10 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Looking mighty fine Dennis.

Thank you it's trundling along nicely.

6 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Lovely efforts here Dennis.  Take your time.  It’s coming out perfect!  ^_^

Yep no rushing here, I do have a side project on the go to fill in time while I wait for paint to dry on the Hayate, more soon on this one.

6 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

That looks MOST excellent Dennis

Thank you, it is appreciated.

Cheers

Dennis

7 hours ago, Fvdm said:

Nice build and great paintjob. The yellow on the tail worked out nice. 

Thank you, I am really pleased with this one after it "waiting" for me for such a long time to gather my enthusiasm once more.

Cheers

Dennis