Is there a site giving 2nd hand value for kits?

Southern Bandit

4 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Yes, and what you really need on eBay is to find at least two people on eBay who want your kit. Then it becomes a question of how bad one of those people want it! It never goes well if only one person wants it, unless you just put it up as a buy-it-now purchase at a set price, but that is no fun.

An entertaining example: I just sold a dash clock for a 1951 Chevy on ebay, starting bid 40 USD, buy-it-now price 80 USD. Got a few low bidders early on, which wiped out the BIN option. Wound up selling for 96 USD. Idgit should have just done the BIN in the first place, but I made out well for his mistake!!

4 minutes ago, BiggTim said:

An entertaining example: I just sold a dash clock for a 1951 Chevy on ebay, starting bid 40 USD, buy-it-now price 80 USD. Got a few low bidders early on, which wiped out the BIN option. Wound up selling for 96 USD. Idgit should have just done the BIN in the first place, but I made out well for his mistake!!

I have seen that mistake often and made it myself, you have to check sales history because a buy it now is often the best deal when you want something.  My preferred strategy is to learn the prices, for example if I wanted a 1/32 Tamiya F4-1, I would start out checking all the recent sales data on them.  Then I would know that average sales price might be $100.00.  If I see someone with a buy it now that I can get it well under that and accounting for shipping then I will buy.  I might have to wait a while but if I really want it the best way is to wait and buy.  The exception is if it is rare.  I let a rare upgrade set for the Mustang GT-350R go years ago made by Thunder Valley Miniatures it is so rare, I have not seen one since.  In that case I should have put a really high bid on.  

You have to balance true rarerity with the market but as a rule, what you will want especially in Models will come on with a buy it now that is better than auction price.  WNW seems to be an exception, not many people put those on the market under valued.  I think I have seen an opportunity here and ther but they are rare.

12 hours ago, cbk57 said:

The best way to gauge value of model kits on ebay is to run an advanced search on the kit you are selling and look at sold listings.  then you can see the recent highs lows and kind of figure what it is really worth.  There will still be outliers on both ends because there is always someone that buys too high and there is always someone that lists a buy it now or otherwise gets a low price.  Generally though when I want to know what something is worth I look at the advanced search.  

Right. What it actually sells for, is a much better gauge than what was asked for it.

Well my kits are up now. mistimed it for the Sunday 23rd evening finish time, dont see a way to alter that now? its 7 day or 10 day auction (or less) its all changed since I last sold on Ebay a very long time ago.

Here is one of my auctions, the others can be found from my Ebay user name, let me know if I should revise anything please.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183434158809?ul_noapp=true

Hope you put reserves on those kits.............:o

I sold on Ebay for years, last weekend I went to a regional show, bought a swap meet table. The wife and I thinned out my stash and sold a bunch of kits. I used Ebay for pricing, then adjusted the price according to the kit. (condition)

If you can get to a local show and set up a table, to me it was so much better then dealing with Ebay. The interaction was great and seeing the younger modelers and giving a few kits away  for the raffles and to the kids was fun.

Good luck with your sales.....:thumbsup:

Dan

Thanks Daniel, but that gets us back to square one, what is the value of a kit and what is the reserve price if I have no idea of its value?

Perhaps the only way to gauge things is to put kits on Ebay and see what they go for?

Ebay is ever changing, our scale model kit market is ever changing.

No turning back for me, my first batch of stash thinning kits are on Ebay, lets see what happens, No matter my online persona  on forums, I'm an honest person and with 100% good feedback from 2005 Ebay in real life.

5 hours ago, Southern Bandit said:

Well my kits are up now. mistimed it for the Sunday 23rd evening finish time, dont see a way to alter that now? its 7 day or 10 day auction (or less) its all changed since I last sold on Ebay a very long time ago.

Here is one of my auctions, the others can be found from my Ebay user name, let me know if I should revise anything please.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183434158809?ul_noapp=true

Oh my goodness, those kits are worth putting a minimum starting bid on

I hope auction goes well for you, Id bid make an offer now if i was still in UK, and i'll keep an eye on the auction and get a relative over there to bid for me