florin13

Hi all,

I finished first model this year.

PZL-11F  No.116, 3th Fighter Group,  45 Squadron.

History

The Romanian manufacturer, IAR, produced ninety-five P.11f's under licence.  These were a Romanian version of the P.11c, powered by  IAR 9K engine (licence-built Gnome-Rhône Mistral 9Krse 610 HP), and had a modified cowling. Production started in 1936 at IAR's Brasov plant; airframe codes 51 to 145 being allocated to these. At Poland's fall large quantities of Polish aircraft, including some P.11c's, escaped to Romania.

Romania's planes proved equal or better than their Soviet opponents. Between June 28th and September 22nd 1941, N° 3 and 4 Fighter Groups, using mainly P.11f's, claimed between 40 and 46 Ratas (Polikarpov I-16). This earned them the nickname of "Rata killers". Some pilots displayed their tallies on a rather unusual way by showing a PZL pilot holding one or two Ratas on a leash. These successes were obtained for the loss of eighteen P.11f's during the Bessarabian campaign.

After the first campaign, all PZL-11 fighters were relegated to training duties and sent to fighter school in Ramnicu-Sarat , Turnu-Severin, Calarasi and Ghimbav-Brasov. Between 1942-43,  the PZL-11 were used to trainers by many Romanian fighter pilots.

Kit

I modified the Silver Wings kit to get the PZL-11F version from C version. Another hood, another engine, another IP. Fully painted with Mr.Paint.

I hope you enjoy!

Florin

0001.jpg

001.jpg

20180126_112045.jpg

025.jpg

036.jpg

047.jpg

20180126_105812.jpg

20180126_105909.jpg

20180126_105915.jpg

20180126_110228.jpg

20180126_111826.jpg

Truly wonderful, what did you use for the markings, and would you please expand on which engine you used, did you scratch build the new hood - is that the engine cowl, or maybe exhaust? - and finally what references did you use?

Thank you very much for posting.

I built a new engine from the original engine block, to which I added cylinders from an IAR engine. The hood(engine cowl) is transformed from a Corsair hood. The exhaust is a bent copper pipe to look like reality. As a reference, I used a lot of PZL F pictures used by the Royal Romanian Air Force during the WWII.

Here you can find all the pictures, from the beginning of the construction to the finish: https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mr32-Aircraft-Plastic-Models-966394193429978/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1536401833095875

Florin

It looks great. Both model, and the paintwork. I was not aware the C and F versions differed so much. I was always curious about Polish Airforce vs Soviet scenario, and I think Romanians showed (as they used a lot of Polish airplanes) that it would be very balanced struggle. More balanced than Polish Airforce vs Luftwaffe.

Best Regards,

Krzysztof